Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Goblin Execution Chamber isn't meeting my morbid needs.  (Read 721 times)

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Goblin Execution Chamber isn't meeting my morbid needs.
« on: August 06, 2013, 02:11:35 pm »

Howdy!

Dunno if that pic will load correctly, if not I'll try it again.

Here's the situation: I just had my first-ever successful defense of a goblin ambush.  There were only a handful of them, they charged into my fortress, and ran smack into my thirty-deep wall of cage traps.  So, now, I have some Goblins-In-A-Cage (tm).  What I'd like to do is use this small pond to drown them, then take all their stuff. 

Here's what I'm hoping will happen:
(1) Bridge A is up, holding the pond back.  Bridge B is down, allowing me to bring cages into the small space.
(2) I link the cages to levers.
(3) Bridge B goes up, sealing the room.
(4) Bridge A goes down, flooding the room.
(5) The cage-levers are pulled, releasing the goblins and drowning them until they are dead, dead, dead.
(6) Bridge A goes up, sealing off the pond.
(7) Bridge B goes down, emptying the Flood Room (tm) into a long hallway.
(8) My dwarves go in to gather corpses and loot.
(9) Repeat.

The problem I'm currently having is that I can't set levers to cages in a stockpile.  How should I go about completing this maybe-noobish-but-awesome-enough-to-make-me-happy design?  I'd appreciate it if your answers included key strokes, to help me along.

Thanks everyone!!

--Wood
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:16:20 pm by Woodimt »

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Goblin Execution Chamber isn't meeting my morbid needs.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 02:11:56 pm »

K, got it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:16:48 pm by Woodimt »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 02:21:39 pm »

Have you tried assigning the goblins to one cage inside there and let it happen while your mechanic hooks everything up? That's the easiest way I know of to stuff as much as possible in there. If you just want the loot, there're easier way, but I'm wagering you just want to drown as many as possible :D

I hope the bridge to internal of fortress are set up so it don't atomsmash some goblins and loots, that'd be a shame.

Can't link up cages that's not already built, just like can't link up bridges that's not built yet, though.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 03:14:34 pm »

Goblins-In-A-Cage (tm) seems like a cheap rip off from the all time favorite Caged-Goblin (tm), just like the Flood-Room (tm) looks a lot like the Drowning-Chamber (tm). You forgot to claim the Evaporation-Chamber (tm) though  :P

anyway, build a cage in there, (b) (j), and stuff the goblins in there in the same way you'd do with regular animals. To select a specific cage though, you can expand most of these selection menus with (x). Similarly if you'd want an expensive weapons trap, you can use x to view a complete list of all the mechanisms and trap components and select only the best ones, otherwise it usually uses the closest
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.