Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggested Embark-Items?  (Read 2463 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Suggested Embark-Items?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 11:39:52 am »

The below'll be a bit of micro-optimizing of what you have. It might give you some ideas and advices to work with. And I'd not recommend going as 'raw' as below anywhere you're expecting trouble :D

Iron Anvil

Never go anywhere without one! Even if you're prepared, you'll always need an anvil. Just in case, y'know!

Also you want a rock to bring along, they're only 3 points and can be made into blocks for 4x more material. Smelters, wood burner and forge need fire-proof material, which I don't see elsewhere on list except for gypsum and I'd not recommend taking that for reason below.

2 Copper Picks

Bring one copper ore and one of either kinds of coal ( if it's avaliable, 5 pieces of wood if not to smith all the bars ). Bronze are slightly more efficient with coal but only if you need a lot of tools.

EDIT: Forget to mention that each ore gives 4 bars of metal, thusly the 5 pieces mention, one to smelt it, and four to forge it.

Native copper or Malachite's 6 each and either kinds of coal are 3 points, lignite will provide 5 cokes or bitumitious giving 9. If neither's around, 5 woods totaling 15 points will do the job. So around 9 to 21 points compared to one copper pick worth 44 points

3 leather quivers
2 cave spider silk bags

Save around 15 points if you brings leather for quiver, and another 10 points bringing leather to make bags instead. 5 pieces of leather's 25 embark points, compared to 50 points for above. I'd advise taking more leather as needed.

one training axe
Bring one piece of wood worth 3 points over bringing training axe worth 17 points. Or alternately use leftover copper bar from pick making and have it virtually free as byproduct.

15 plumphelmet spawns
9 dwarven wine
6 plump helmets

I would take around 10 plump helmet for all those. one plump helmet makes 5 dwarven wine and one seed. One seed and 5 units of booze's worth around 11 points with one plump helmet worth 4. With 5 stack being norm, 20 points of plump helmet can give 25 booze and 5 seeds, norminally costing 55 points. Throw in wood and it's still decent.

*Other seeds*

Keep the other non-plump helmet seeds, I always takes at least 10 of them more out of habit!

*Other alcohols*

My habit's to take as much plump helmet as I thinks will last me a while, and plenty of wood. It protects me from cold weather issues and is slightly better in points spent in my eye. Variety does helps dwarven mood, though!

5 gypsum

Not really worth it, since it'll need bags. Bring wood logs to make splints on-site and save some bags, it cost the same either way but wood splints don't need bags.

5 cave spider silk threads
3 cave spider silk cloths
1 cave spider silk rope

Don't buy cloths and ropes, buy more threads to make them. Well, this one might be a bit distracting since it's only one point more to get cloth and four point to get rope over threads.

*Various milk and meat*

Trying to get more barrels on the cheap? It'll work if you only buy one of each specie that's worth 2 points. I prefer to buy wood instead even with slight more expense.

5 tower-cap logs

That's very little wood by my standard, but if you're expecting to be able to chop a lot trees down then that's okay! You'll need one to make into charcoal to start processing coal if you're following the ore route.

*Various animals*

I don't recommend buying any baby or trained creatures, you can either train them on-site or buy fully grown creature to butcher/breed. Cavy's too small to be butcherable, unless you intend to use them as pet or watch-critter? Can get away with not buying leather and meat if you buy extra critters. I'd estimate that peafowl, chicken or turkey should be able to give one leather each and some meat and bone. I personally prefer peafowl!

EDIT: Forget to mention another reason to not buy baby creatures, they're as expensive as fully grown one.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:47:23 am by AutomataKittay »

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 04:53:10 pm »

For animals you should always skip children, there is no good reason to take a child over an adult asside from role playing reasons.  Likewise for trained animals as you can always just train them on the spot for half the cost and only a very short time for a dwarf to do it.

As to animals I bring along I go with turkeys for egg production, Peafowl for meat/leather(best ballance of clutch size and quick growth rate imo)  Dogs for guard animals,  Pigs for milk (non grazers so easy to manage)  sheep for wool (if needed, lowest grazer of the lot)  all others asside from cats are redundant or harder to manage alternitives of these.   If your going to want to breed any of these animals remember you can get faster results if you bring several females.    It can take several years to get a large number of dogs off a single breeding pair but with 4-5 females you could have 20 or so adult specimins in a couple years for guard duty.

For cats if you choose to bring them for vermin control bring only 1 female (and as many males as you want) and keep the female in a safe place.   If your not breeding the female keep her in a cage (if she hasnt adopted a dwarf) and cage/butcher any female offspring ASAP on birth.  this will keep the risk of a catsplosion to a minimum.   I normaly keep 1 breeder female and 1 spare that is caged since birth(incase the breeder dies of old age/accident)

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 09:19:02 am »

I do "play now" and spend the time I saved actually playing the game, just a though. :)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 03:10:28 pm »

I do "play now" and spend the time I saved actually playing the game, just a though. :)

Depending on how often you embark, you can save an embark and re-use it, so it's a one and done kind of thing once you've perfected your preferred loadout.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 03:21:13 pm »

I like seeing what my civ can offer, and I can at least see if they offers the outfits I need, particularly high boots, before embarking. I like to pick up a few colored stones to split into blocks and mechanisms when I can :D

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 12:08:42 am »

I take a breeding pair of cats, a breeding pair of dogs, a male and two hens of poultry, picks and axes, some food, some seeds, and lots and lots of booze.   ;)

If you embark in a biome with even a hint of winter freezing over fresh water sources, you'll need booze and/or booze production to get through the winter.

Remember, you can buy stuff off the caravans.  The possessions of dorfs dead from dehydration, hunger, tantrum spirals, wild animal attacks are useful for trade until you get industries really going.  Embark with what you think you'll need in the first year or so and enough to buy you some margin over the first winter or two.
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 06:34:04 am »

My all-time most favorite embark was: 7 zero-skill dwarfs, a few stones (for querns and mechanisms for screw presses), and spend the rest of the embark points on rock nuts. Lots and lots of rock nuts. The fort's only trade good was biscuits made from 1 rock nut press cake and 1 rock nut oil.

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 01:20:24 am »

My all-time most favorite embark was: 7 zero-skill dwarfs, a few stones (for querns and mechanisms for screw presses), and spend the rest of the embark points on rock nuts. Lots and lots of rock nuts. The fort's only trade good was biscuits made from 1 rock nut press cake and 1 rock nut oil.

Only rock nuts?  Good thing Toady has yet to implement allergies.   ;)

Urist McAllergic cancels eat:  Rock nut allergy caused anaphylatic shock.
Doc Killdorf:  Quick, get the epindorfrin!
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.
Pages: 1 [2]