Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: artifact creation post adamantite wafer smelt  (Read 662 times)

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
artifact creation post adamantite wafer smelt
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:38:39 am »

Ive done some searching on this and I cant find anything about this. I have been controlling the artifacts I creat by training dwarves in armour/weapon/black smiting and forbiding metals and allowing the metals I want. I have approximately 40 artifacts and for the most part they are all artifacts I desire to possess.

Now, the issue I am having is that since smelting my first adamantite wafer, every mooded dwarf requests wafers now. DF hack show that adamantite wafers are the desired item and dwarves ignore my specially selected metal bars and immediately grab adamantite when i unforbid it.

This is slightly unfortunate, as sometimes I want to use a different metal than adamantite. I have 1 addy hammer that i wanted to get for my hammerer, but I dont want another addy hammer,

I have not yet seen a dwarf mood who has a preference for a metal other than adamantite so I dont know what will happen there.

Has anyone else seen this ? Is this intended (that all dwarves who mood will demmand adamantite once a wafer has been smelted).

is it possibly a bug or unintended ?

Cheers for reading

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: artifact creation post adamantite wafer smelt
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:09:15 am »

I think it's intended that highest value material mined or smelted within the fortress will be the base material for moods. That probably was an attempted fix to some moods demanding unavaliable alloys and metals.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:36:45 am »

Whenever you actually _have_ adamantine in processed form, all smithing (and clothesmaking, if you have cloth) moods will use it as base material. I think you can avoid it by forbidding all processed adamantine before the mood strikes, but am not too sure. It would also mean you'd have to keep your entire stock of wafers forbidden and only selectively un-forbid whenever you actually wanted some adamantine items made.

I'm pretty certain it's intentional. It's the fabled nonplusultra material, so everyone wants to have a bit of it when given the chance. Anyway, fret not, for all edged weapons and armour, bluemetal should be the undisputable best, and for furniture it's the most valuable.

Stone-based moods will not prefer raw adamantine, however, you have to specifically set up the shops so they use it and make you some neat raw adamantine statues and mechanisms.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:03:48 am »

thanks for the replies guys. I need to try the "all adamantite is forbidden before a mood strikes".

It definately doesnt work this way with "pre adamantite". The dwarves would only demmand metal bars and whatever i unforbid-ed would be used with the exception of when the dwarf had a preference for a certain type of metal. The exception to this being when I havent smelted a bar of said metal. I have had plenty of dwarves with preference for bronze (which ive never smelted) use steel at my command. Also dwarves with a preference for gold not using the steel I want, resulting in 1 gold breastplate.

Anyways thanks (fingers crossed for no more hammers!)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:58:37 am »

thanks for the replies guys. I need to try the "all adamantite is forbidden before a mood strikes".

It definately doesnt work this way with "pre adamantite". The dwarves would only demmand metal bars and whatever i unforbid-ed would be used with the exception of when the dwarf had a preference for a certain type of metal. The exception to this being when I havent smelted a bar of said metal. I have had plenty of dwarves with preference for bronze (which ive never smelted) use steel at my command. Also dwarves with a preference for gold not using the steel I want, resulting in 1 gold breastplate.

Anyways thanks (fingers crossed for no more hammers!)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Material_value#Material_multipliers
Gold and steel have same value, so maybe if it's same value, it goes by preference first?

I believe that dwarves are perfectly happy to demand forbiddened stuffs, it's happened to me from time to time. Or even when there're nothing left of what they want :D

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 10:06:32 am »

I have just mooded a steel shield. With the addy forbidden before the mood strikes then addy is not demmanded.

Good to know.