Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not eating- HELP!  (Read 433 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Dwarves not eating- HELP!
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:25:30 pm »

I have just reclaimed a fortress. I brought with me 30 olm meat and 15 cave lobsters. There was a farm plot with two plump helmets on it. When my dwarves started getting hungry, two of them ate the plump helmets in the farm plot, but the rest are sitting in the dining room starving themselves. Any recommendations for fixing this?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not eating- HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 03:29:14 pm »

Short of butchering anything that moves and hunting things down or checking that dwarves can path to food, not really. Might have some luck fishing and cleaning something up before they dies.

45 pieces of food is a bit on low side for busy embark and would only last three and half seasons with seven dwarves.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 03:31:24 pm »

Cook the meat and lobsters in simple meals.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:59:29 am »

Did you unforbid the items? I read on the wiki that everything that was still in there gets forbidden. I know reclaims are kind of buggy, so not sure if there is some other bug that hit the food already there.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 07:37:28 pm »

The food you brought with the reclaimers should be edible still.  Something has happened to block access to it - either through being unable to reach it (pathing) or being unable to interact with it (forbidden).

You can easily fix any forbidden issues by using d - reclaim all option, and selecting the square(s) your food barrels are on.  That will gaurentee your food barrels and all contents (as well as anything else within the same squares) are not forbidden.

if pathing is the issue, you can verify this by attempting to pen an animal on the food-containing square, or if no animals remain, by trying to station a dwarf there, trying to build something there or right next to it - and then when that fails to get done shift your attempted location closer and closer to your idling dwarves until one does attempt the task - this can help pinpoint where the point of inaccessibility has occurred.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:20:50 pm »

The reclaim failed almost immediately, so this didn't end up being a problem, but I tried d-b-c, and I stationed a squad on top of the wagon, and it wasn't forbidden and was accessible, so I don't know what the problem was.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 03:16:26 am »

The reclaim failed almost immediately, so this didn't end up being a problem, but I tried d-b-c, and I stationed a squad on top of the wagon, and it wasn't forbidden and was accessible, so I don't know what the problem was.

I've had issue with (o)rder not allowing food hauling making dwarves starve ( apparently eating need hauling labor ), it's something I almost never think to check personally.