Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problem with long multiple z levels minecart track (video inside)  (Read 314 times)

quandasim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

hi
i builded minecart track from the top sand level to the bottom magma glass furnance level. if i set the minecart to guide mode, then all is ok, but when i set it to ride or push, then all cargo will be dropped after few corners (but the kart dont derail)

my english is bad, so if u dont understand u can check the situation in this 2 mins video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lBQoe1hihc

anyone can help?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: problem with long multiple z levels minecart track (video inside)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 04:48:16 am »

This is in fact a derailing problem: the cart is going so fast that it would derail on corners, and that means it will not follow ramps that open under it. When encountering such a pit, it will simply jump over it and try to carry on in a straight line. If there's a wall directly behind the pit (the norm on tracks that want to guide a cart down multiple z-levels), the cart will crash against it and drop its entire contents before falling down into the pit and proceeding from there.

You need to either build a ton of speed regulators to slow your cart down (horribly uneconomical when going down 20+ levels), or build most of the downwards route as one long straight stretch of nothing but ramps: the derailing occurs when the movement direction _changes_ - in your example from horizontal to downwards. A cart coming from a ramp is already moving downwards, so will follow an immediately adjacent ramp without issue. Whenever using horizontal stretches on such a course, you'd need to build speed limiters to slow the cart down enough for the next descent.

This section of the wiki entry might be helpful for constructing speed limiters.

quandasim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 05:11:17 am »

hi
thanx for detailed explanation, i try make one big diagonal ramp then.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 06:00:46 am »

There's an alternative, the drop chute.  If the cart isn't at derail speed it won't dump its goods when it's dropped into a hole.  If you build a catch ramp at the bottom you can get it moving along again.  I haven't had any problems with it losing rocks, but I also haven't tried it with a lot of small items, like sand bags.