Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the strength of HFS... (Spoilers)  (Read 623 times)

Vagabond.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On the strength of HFS... (Spoilers)
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:56:04 pm »

How strong would you have to be to take down a demon? How strong would you have to be to kill several demons (Assuming they didn't have any instant-kill effects).

I'm just wondering, because I've been thinking of taking down the Hidden Fun Stuff, but I have no idea how prepared I should be.
If I do something incredibly idiotic, slap me.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
Re: On the strength of HFS... (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:09:42 am »

Some clowns can be a pushover or a challenge, depending on their material composition and attacks. The main problem with fighting HFS is the numbers of clown you are confronted with, because there are several pages of them. Thus you need some mechanical device to separate them.

With a decent military, single clowns are on par with FBs.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:24:21 am »

It kinda depends on what you get.   you'll get a handful of veriaties of demons and they can have prety much the same characteristics as various forgoten beasts that come outa the caverns.   Things like deadly dust, fire breath and the like.  The main thing that makes them more dangerious than a FB is numbers.  expect lots of them, expect enough to hurt your FPS.   Dont expect the normal methods of dealing with sieges to work.   Weapon traps wont trigger for them and neither will cage traps or direct application of magma.   You can obsidian cast them or use caveins to wipe them out prety effectively however and upright spikes on a repeater will do some damage to them.

I reccomend an asortment of trap rooms to lure them into with various horrors to unleash on them.  connect them up with coridors of repeating spikes.  spikes wont likely kill all of em but it may weaken the ones that get away from the main traps (cavein/obsidian) enough for your military to deal with.   And for goodness sake make sure you have a failsafe way to lock them in if your other traps fail.   Make sure they cant get into the magma sea if you have a volcano cause some will get to the surface that way.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:15:28 am »

How strong do you need to be to take down a Titan or Forgotten Beast?

Take that figure and multiply by around 50 and you should get your answer - Demons are mostly the same as Titans and Forgotten Beasts, only they come in very large groups instead of one by one.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:47:25 pm »

The first time I fought hfs, I had a few squads in full steel, composed of level 6+ military dorfs. When they failed, I drafted the rest of my peasants into an army, about 100 strong. Then, when the last of my peasants were fleeing, a goblin ambush showed up and attacked the demons. In all, 8 demons died.
Yeah.
My advice: if you're going to fight hfs with just soldiers, no traps, you need several squads of weapon lords, preferably with adamantine gear, and its generally best to engage the enemy in a mazelike cavern: the walls get in the way of their AoE attacks, making them much less deadly, and much more like fighting a whole seige of goblin elites (except a couple hundred times larger in bodysize).

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:53:00 pm »

You can't kill them with conventional weapons and traps.  I had a 80 dwarf army with full steal and mostly weapon masters.  They killed maybe 30 demons but the fortress died anyway.  The flames are what got me.  It seems like none of my shields could block the hellfire.

They fly right over weapon traps, so that's a no go.  I believe they are also immune to magma and drowning.

Only chance is with an environmental hazard, like a controlled cave in that atom smashes them.  At least for the initial wave.  After that, you still need that huge crew of weapon masters for mop up.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:33:47 pm »

As soon as one dorf is on fire, he lights all his friends on for too, without them having a dodge or block opportunity. What you need is to train toughness on your soldiers, so that they keep on fighting even while being engulfed in fire hotter than magma.

It is also a viable strategy to have a line of dual wielding shield bearers in the front of your forces to block the fire for those behind them. I haven't tried this, though.