Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Larger caverns  (Read 700 times)

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
Larger caverns
« on: August 06, 2013, 06:50:22 pm »

In my (admittedly limited) experience, regardless of how dense or open the caverns are they tend to cover up to half a dozen z-levels. Is there any way to make any one cavern layer all-around bigger and not just wider, short of mining out the ceiling to make it artificially taller?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Larger caverns
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:56:51 pm »

There should be a setting in the advanced world gen.  layer z level settings
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »

In my (admittedly limited) experience, regardless of how dense or open the caverns are they tend to cover up to half a dozen z-levels. Is there any way to make any one cavern layer all-around bigger and not just wider, short of mining out the ceiling to make it artificially taller?

Amusingly, I'm trying to invert that exact problem.  I've got a 50 z layer cavern, with drop passages, at the second cavern.  It's a spiraling pretzeled mess.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 09:17:12 pm »

Hmm... So if I'm reading this right, the wiki's explanations suggest that lowering the number of z-levels between caverns might increase the probability of taller caverns, but so far it isn't confirmed and, furthermore, any effects are only guaranteed in the whole 16x16 area so unless you take a whole 16x16 embark you might not even know whether the effects were a crapshoot or if it was just that you embarked in the wrong part of the 16x16 region?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.