Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: he has it all, but refuses to build.  (Read 800 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
he has it all, but refuses to build.
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:25:42 am »

so my dwarf has a strange mood, and claims a craftsdwarf workshop.  sounds pretty simple, except for the fact that he refuses to build whatever it is he's thinking about.  he needs 3 bones, 2 leather, yarn, 2 bars, and a rough gem.  i have this all, but he refuses to collect a rough gem.  what is wrong?

i used dfhack to see, and it says he has everything he needs. also, it seems he doesn't want to go insane is content with sitting in the workshop.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:45:39 am by CaptainLambcake »
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: he has it all, but refuses to build.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:01:14 pm »

Have you tried to dig out some gems?

Also, sometimes they need more bones because the stacks are empty.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:19:13 pm »

Check workshop using 'q' in-game and see if they're building. If he's got everything and still not working, then the last item in the shop isn't in enough amount to work with.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:31:24 pm »

Also check his preferences, maybe he wants a specific gem? Alternatively, one or more of your dwarves is/are hauling the gem bins around and he is waiting for them to put the bins back in the stockpile.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 01:05:42 pm »

Do you have yarn or just thread? 
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 03:06:45 pm »

Has he gathered everything already except the glass, so it's definitely that causing the issue? Make some raw green glass, see if that gets the little bastard to move.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 04:30:22 pm »

i had no wood.  i chop a tree, and he takes it, when it's not even listed as something he needs?  strange, but thanks for the help guys
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 04:48:50 pm »

i had no wood.  i chop a tree, and he takes it, when it's not even listed as something he needs?  strange, but thanks for the help guys

Did he finish his work

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 05:20:55 pm »

Are you sure you simply didn't miss it? They can sometimes say what they need multiple times like they'll say rock blocks two times for the whole string. At least I think that happens.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 06:33:15 pm »

so my dwarf has a strange mood, and claims a craftsdwarf workshop.  sounds pretty simple, except for the fact that he refuses to build whatever it is he's thinking about.  he needs 3 bones, 2 leather, yarn, 2 bars, and a rough gem.  i have this all, but he refuses to collect a rough gem.  what is wrong?

i used dfhack to see, and it says he has everything he needs. also, it seems he doesn't want to go insane is content with sitting in the workshop.

dfhack sometimes lies about what the dwarf has gathered. Use 't' to examine the workshop the dwarf is in and verify that the items are really there. Haven't seen dfhack being wrong yet about what the dwarf wants, but have caught it a few times claiming that the dwarf had already gotten the item(s) when the dwarf hadn't.