Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cancel ALL the things : Webbed  (Read 2954 times)

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Cancel ALL the things : Webbed
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:33:26 pm »

Yeah, title. How do i remove these goddamn webs?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Cancel ALL the things : Webbed
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:58:42 pm »

By walking into them.

Or build looms and and make dwarves to gather webds and make silk.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »

Flood the caverns with water/magma.  Webs are destroyed submerged in either.

Rain/snow destroys webs.  Strip mine until caverns are aboveground.

Use the stocks menu or d-b-D to mass dump the webs.  Then use dfhack's autodump to move/destroy them.

That's all I got for now, haven't had my coffee.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 05:44:01 pm »

NVM. Fortress tantrum spiraled after the commander tried to use his mithril crossbow loaded with titanium bolts ( its masterwork mod ) to beat the spider with, promptly getting him decapitated.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 05:46:28 pm »

d-b-D to mass dump the webs
That's d-b-d.  d-b-D is to mass cancel dumping.[/nitpick] :)
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 08:07:17 pm »

d-b-D to mass dump the webs
That's d-b-d.  d-b-D is to mass cancel dumping.[/nitpick] :)

I don't think correcting something that originally caused exactly the opposite of the intended effect counts as "nitpicking," but then again, I could be nitpicking now and not even know it, as bad as I am with the term.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 12:31:52 am »

Nah with the way DF works, correcting someone on the forums can mean the difference between it working and their entire fort dying.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 01:41:21 am »

Nah with the way DF works, correcting someone on the forums can mean the difference between their entire fort dying and their entire fort dying different way.

Fixed it for you.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 08:35:16 am »

I had a strange observation regarding webbed cages.
I was nearly finished with my new forgotten beast capture-block, making the final touches on it, when I accidentally opened the entance of the area. Before it caught my attention, the dwarves immediately rushed for collecting silk and junk scattered around in the caves... right trough the webbed cage traps! *facepalm*. It finished up 7-8 dwarves caught in cages hundred levels below the fortress. (I've had a fun time freeing them, but fortunately, no one died.)
However, I observed some of the clothiers running for silk passing trough all of the remaining untapped cages unharmed. It seems they are able to avoid webbed cage traps when they're busy collecting silk.

Have you ever observed this behaviour?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 08:58:27 am »

However, I observed some of the clothiers running for silk passing trough all of the remaining untapped cages unharmed. It seems they are able to avoid webbed cage traps when they're busy collecting silk.

Not with traps per se, but I did observe that a weaver collecting silk will not damage (or get stuck in) other webs that he passes through along the way.  Similarly, I think herbalists gathering plants will not kill shrubs that they walk over along the way, but that could have been simply luck.

I speculate that when a dwarf accepts a "gather plants/collect webs" job, the game sets a flag that makes the dwarf not damage plants/webs, respectively.  This is because the dwarf has to walk onto the plant/web to be acquired, and normally this could destroy it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 01:50:39 pm »

I had a strange observation regarding webbed cages.
I was nearly finished with my new forgotten beast capture-block, making the final touches on it, when I accidentally opened the entance of the area. Before it caught my attention, the dwarves immediately rushed for collecting silk and junk scattered around in the caves... right trough the webbed cage traps! *facepalm*. It finished up 7-8 dwarves caught in cages hundred levels below the fortress. (I've had a fun time freeing them, but fortunately, no one died.)

Yes. So weird.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 03:13:53 pm »

Yep. Dwarves with the "Collect Webs" job are temporarily rendered immune to the effects of webs. Good thing, too! They have to be standing on the square with the web in order to harvest it. If they got stuck in the webs or destroyed them, then the whole "Collect Webs" job would be useless!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 03:45:08 pm »

Collecting webs is the best way to remove them, but be sure to remove the web-maker first.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 09:33:56 pm »

The tag is [WEBIMMUNE] and it is temporarily applied to any dwarf with the collect webs job.

Certain enemies are WEBIMMUNE themselves, immune even to webbed traps if they are also TRAPAVOID. Those ones are obnoxious, but can still be knocked into traps via cave-ins.

Protip: if a forgotten beast/clown can spray webs, it is also WEBIMMUNE. Have FUN!
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.