Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mystic Cavern Murderer  (Read 1110 times)

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Mystic Cavern Murderer
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:38:33 am »

So I found a nice embark location; I'm in war with both goblins and elves, there's forest and plenty of metal and everything is good. Hell, there was even a cave (fortunately empty) I discovered only after embarking.

There was some weird "Urist cancels to store item to stockpile: item inaccessible" -announcements multiple times. I walled off the cave entrance and they stopped.

There was also a giant mole wandering in the surface. I guess it had come from the cave. There was also some dead giant moles and trogodytes in the unit list.

Well, after  I got military up at the second spring, I decided to send a exploration team down there. In unwalled the cave entrance and descended into the depths with my bismuth bronze -clad team of dwarves.

I found corpses. Troglodytes and giant moles. Some of them even were so fresh that dwarves started to bring them into butcher's. Most of them, however, were rotten.

I expected to meet an FB or cavern tribe which had killed those.

The expedition continued. I found a downward passage and descended yet more.

My dwarves killed one "giant mole pup". It was odd, since I have never seen children of wild animal before. There was also a giant mole, but it was quickly pulverized by hail of arrows. (I have started to give my spinners/web-guys crossbows).

I had charted both cavern layers. There was no passage to the third one. There was ~10 corpses total. I don't have a slightest idea what had happened, since there was nothing hostile in that cavern. Just giant moles and a couple of cave floaters.

Any ideas what the hell is going on in my caverns?

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mystic Cavern Murderer
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:05:14 am »

Maybe you embarked on a lair? Not done so myself so I'm not sure if it would warn you or list the monster until it appears on screen.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 06:08:15 am »

No, it's not lair. It's cave. If you embark in the lair, it first warns you "You have discovered x, the lair" (it does same with caves) and shows the residents, since things in surface are always visible.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 06:39:43 am »

The giant moles and trogs were battling eachother down there, along with possibly other cavern critters such as giant olms and toads, crundles, and giant rats for example. It happens from time to time when cave animals run into eachother. The giant mole pup means that somewhere there was a breeding pair that may or may not have vacated the caverns but sat around long enough to have the pup.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:40:47 am »

No, it's not lair. It's cave. If you embark in the lair, it first warns you "You have discovered x, the lair" (it does same with caves) and shows the residents, since things in surface are always visible.
Ah, fair enough. Never managed to embark on a lair yet so wasn't sure. Second guess is what Splint said but I haven't seen trogs in quite a few embarks because I get several FB I REALLY don't want to deal with so I wall off the caverns and end up not actually needing to go in. Guess I haven't encountered  them fighting wildlife due to insufficient exploration despite playing for a while. Would be cool to embark with a cave like that.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 06:44:22 pm »

Creatures who are residents within a cave will stay on the map, and fight with  the usual cavern wildlife that comes and goes. I recently had a cave with a huge number of giant rats, giant moles, and naked mole dogs, plus about half a dozen giant earthworms. The earthworms held the fort until the other residents had increased in population to the point where they could bounce back from failing to swarm and kill something particularly nasty. It was a bloodbath down there.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.