Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need a PC controller  (Read 926 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
I need a PC controller
« on: July 29, 2013, 09:06:02 pm »

Does anyone know a good PC controller? I've tried looking it up, but it's difficult to sort out the genuine praise from the paid praise. I do not want to buy another piece of garbage that doesn't have functioning drivers and can't be returned. I'm running windows 7.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need a PC controller
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 09:10:59 pm »

The Microsoft Xbox 360 controllers seem to be fine, have good support with a lot of PC games (doubly so if it's a GFWL game like Dark Souls), seem to be pretty compatible with other things like emulators and joy2key.

The thing you want to watch for is that it has a USB connection, either wired or wireless. Without that I don't think it'll work as well.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »

Wired Xbox 360 controllers plug and play with the PC very nicely. Wireless Xbox 360 controllers need a special adapter. Note that the "Plug and Play" kits for wireless controllers do not adapt them to work on the PC.

I have yet to be disappointed with my Logitech F310. It's cheap and has 2 input modes - 1 just like the Xbox controller and 1 that sends programmable button commands instead. Not uncomfortable either.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:54:23 pm »

The use of a USB cable doesn't bother me. I prefer them not be wireless, actually.

Looks like I'll try some sort of Xbox controller then, unless someone can vouch for another model.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:06:22 pm »

Everyone can see my other post in this thread, right? It's actually there?

Wired Xbox 360 controllers plug and play with the PC very nicely. Wireless Xbox 360 controllers need a special adapter. Note that the "Plug and Play" kits for wireless controllers do not adapt them to work on the PC.

I have yet to be disappointed with my Logitech F310. It's cheap and has 2 input modes - 1 just like the Xbox controller and 1 that sends programmable button commands instead. Not uncomfortable either.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:32:15 pm »

I use a Steel Series 3GC controller, also on Windows 7. Nice vibration and it has a turbo function if you fancy that kind of thing. Feels nice in your hands, too, but the analog sticks can be a little annoying at times.