Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Submersing Windmills [SCIENCE]  (Read 1410 times)

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Submersing Windmills [SCIENCE]
« on: July 25, 2013, 01:26:37 am »

Concept Question.  If I build a nethercap windmill in a hole connecting to the surface and then fill that hole with magma, will it still work?

Not knowing the answer and being unable to test the magma part of it, I decided to dig a hole and fill it with water and see if a normal windmill worked.

Answer: YES! Windmills submersed in water work properly as long as the center square is 'Outside'.  I would assume this means a nethercap windmill would function under magma, but as of yet, I have no proof.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Submersing Windmills [SCIENCE]
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:48:21 am »

Hmm, so a long as the windmill is "OUTSIDE" (with sunlight?) it generates power? Interesting, does this mean you can have "underground" wind farms? More testing please.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:51:18 am »

I built a windmill on top of another windmill and the bottom windmill did not work. The center tile needs a path to the sky.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 01:53:14 am »

Fuck the physics. Windmills are more like solar plants instead.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 02:12:14 am »

Yep, the _central_ tile must be 'outside', i.e. there can't be a building directly above it, no matter how far away. A single tile of sky walkway 80z-levels above completely prevents a windmill at ground level from generating power. On the other hand, a windmill at the bottom of a 20z 1x1 shaft open to the sky works perfectly. I've only tried this with windmills otherwise 'inside' a building, but a mill otherwise underground might work, too. I'll check.
Edit: yep, the other tiles of the windmill can be underground.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:38:35 am by Larix »

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 02:48:57 am »

Someone needs to drain the magma sea, cover the bottom in windmills and  ensure line of sight for every windmill all the way to the surface then allow it to refill again.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 06:48:01 am »

Do creatures take and extra damage if they land on top of a powered windwill? I figure they probably don't since the dwarves can walk right through them, but the idea of a ventilation shaft with spinning blades of death is a fun thought. Maybe something for the future!

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 11:02:05 am »

Yep, the _central_ tile must be 'outside', i.e. there can't be a building directly above it, no matter how far away. A single tile of sky walkway 80z-levels above completely prevents a windmill at ground level from generating power. On the other hand, a windmill at the bottom of a 20z 1x1 shaft open to the sky works perfectly. I've only tried this with windmills otherwise 'inside' a building, but a mill otherwise underground might work, too. I'll check.
Edit: yep, the other tiles of the windmill can be underground.
How about a grate or floor bars?  I've known for a while you couldn't floor over above the center tile, but I don't think I've ever tried to "grate it over" (for better security).
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:08 am »

Grates turn the tag to [inside], killing the windmill. Not sure about bars. In any case, if the incredibly rare flying building destroyer descends into your water or magma filled pit to destroy your windmill, please screenshot it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:53:44 pm »

Anything built over the square will turn it into Inside tile, even bridges tilted out of the way. However, I know that if you build something high enough, then the Inside designation goes away. It might take somewhere between 4 and 10 z for that, though, and I'm not sure if it's still in.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 02:19:50 pm »

Based on previous mechanics and casting observations I purpose casting the nethercap windmill in obsidian to see if it still works. A lot of mechanisms still work to varying degrees after being encased in obsidian. The inside of cast obsidian remains "Outside" as long as there is no other construction built above it that would normally make it "Inside."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 02:29:32 pm »

Based on previous mechanics and casting observations I purpose casting the nethercap windmill in obsidian to see if it still works. A lot of mechanisms still work to varying degrees after being encased in obsidian.

Define "varying degrees" :P

My attempts at building a 'black box' mechanism (i.e. an array inside obsidian) failed because the mechanisms encased in obsidian were functional and responsive to lever commands, but they were all converted to 'hanging' status, causing them to get atomsmashed inside the obsidian whenever their supported status was properly checked. I had to dig my way right up to the mechanisms and link them with horizontal axles. They couldn't be supported with vertical axles from below, either. I had placed them on top of a cast obsidian floor, in case that makes a difference.

Building an obsidian mill still sounds like a worthwile endeavour.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 02:37:11 pm »

Underwater windmills! :P I love this game!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 05:41:59 pm »

They are "Solar wind" Mills.

Also yay my internet works after like three weeks.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)