Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about Backwards compatability  (Read 498 times)

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about Backwards compatability
« on: October 28, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

Another bank of questions relating to the new version.  Some of these questions negate other questions (answering yes on one implies no on another), so you don't have to give answers for every single one.  Also I would appreciate it if you would only answer if you know the answer to be 100% true, I don't want to see any more speculations, or wishes of what you want the answers to be.  You can also use this thread to post any questions about backwards compatibility in hopes that someone would actually answer your question(s).

-After the update, would my old fortresses still be playable?  

-Would the old forts have the new elements inserted into the game world? Or at least have updates?

-Will there be a 2D/3D option when creating a new fortress?  Or a "Classic mode" for the old version?

-Would the new version launch from a different executable but share the same files and init settings?

-Is the new game a whole separate entity from the old one and they have their own private files.

-Can the two versions coexist on the same machine?

That's all I can think of for now, more on the way.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Backwards compatability
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

Old saves are not compatible.  There will not be a 2D/3D option.  The two versions will not share files.  They will not eat their broccoli.  They will not play together nicely, not even if you offer them candy.

They might coexist on the same machine, but only if separated by a 'folder' barrier.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Backwards compatability
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

Two versions can certainly coexist, you don't need toady to answer that one. Just put each in its own directory. DF doesn't touch the windows registry at all AFAIK.

Edit: Ninja'd!

LN

[ October 28, 2007: Message edited by: Lord Nightmare ]

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"