Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to save refuse from vermins?  (Read 3627 times)

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: How to save refuse from vermins?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 12:48:11 am »

I would assume that bins and barrels are exempt from it, given that they might be considered part of the stockpile itself, rather than objects in it.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 01:29:45 am »

can bones/shells/skulls/horns be stored in bins/barrels if the containers are on the refuse stockpile or is that impossible?

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 02:45:35 am »

I doubt they can; refuse is their native stockpile, and refuse defaults to no bins/barrels
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 01:35:12 pm »

It just occurred to me, there IS a way to store refuse in at least one type of container: MINECARTS!

Yes, minecarts! if we build the classic quantum minecart dump:
* Track stop set to autodump
* feeder stockpile (3x3)
* dummy Route to assign a minecart and a route-stop
* route-stop that takes from the feeder stockpile
* quantum stockpile tile to receive the auto-dumped items

Now if we remove a couple of elements:

* Track stop set to autodump
* feeder stockpile (3x3)
* dummy Route to assign a minecart and a route-stop
* route-stop that takes from the feeder stockpile
* quantum stockpile tile to receive the auto-dumped items

We're effectively left with a system that will keep on filling the stationary minecart from the feeder stockpile up to the point when the minecart is 100% full (or it can't fit any more items), so basically we could have a minecart working as a (quite large) bin/barrel/pot full of bones, shells, skulls, raw skins, etc.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 03:51:00 pm »

Can land vermin move through water? You could fill your stockpile with water up to 3/7 or 4//7 so that dwarves would still path through while vermin wouldn't.
Though I'd stick with cats, they do wonders when something small needs to be killed. 
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 06:05:38 pm »

The problem is that in one way or another cats have probably ended as many forts as the HFS.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 06:35:40 pm »

I'm surprised people still use cats when peregrine falcons are a much better alternative, ignoring the fact that they are annoying to catch. Eggs are much easier to manage, though less tasty than kittens, and they don't adopt your dwarves, preventing any crazy falcon person from owning them all.

Though seriously, I think more than three animals should be able to hunt vermin.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 06:53:29 pm »

I'm surprised people still use cats when peregrine falcons are a much better alternative, ignoring the fact that they are annoying to catch. Eggs are much easier to manage, though less tasty than kittens, and they don't adopt your dwarves, preventing any crazy falcon person from owning them all.

Though seriously, I think more than three animals should be able to hunt vermin.
Not every fortress has falcons. And Cats provide more meat, no?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 07:06:49 pm »

But falcons make eggs!

This is DF, where a hummingbird egg omlette is just as filling as an ostritch egg one!

Why kill the cat only once, when you get eggs many times?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 07:25:57 pm »

Not every fortress has falcons. And Cats provide more meat, no?

They should show up in pretty much every biome but rainforests and glaciers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And eggs would provide more over the long run, especially if you let a few clutches hatch to get more egg-layers.
Though falcons are too small to provide anything other than a skull when butchered, and catching one would require a bit of luck.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »

It just occurred to me, there IS a way to store refuse in at least one type of container: MINECARTS!

...basically we could have a minecart working as a (quite large) bin/barrel/pot full of bones, shells, skulls, raw skins, etc.
awesome thought! that was exactly what I was looking for!
there is still one problem with it though: the bones stored in the mincart don't seem to work anymore for bone carving. they are not forbidden, seem to be ok and are literally right next to the craftsdwarf...but I only get the message that unrotten bone body parts are needed. I even got the stack out of the minecart but same result.
so do bones always rot? and is there a way to tell that they are rotten?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 03:12:22 pm »

That's a separate issue altogether. Let me find the copy pasta I dropped on someone asking about the same issue....

There is a bug, but it's not what you probably think.

Bones come in stacks. You know this.

The way this is represented in code is similar to the data type in coding called an "array". Basically, an individual item is an "object" (Specifically a pointer to an object but you don't need to know that), and objects have properties. One of these properties is the fact that it is, in fact, a bone, and allows jobs and such to find those items and use it. An array is a list of objects that you can reference with just one name. So instead of having to declare "bob", "joe", "chelsea", and "adam" individually, you'd declare "bob[4]" and then you can ask for bob[0], bob[1], bob[2], or bob[3]. (Arrays start at 0, and most things in code start at 0, instead of 1 like you'd think. It's weird, but irrelevant.)

A stack of 4 bones from a puppy looks like bone[4], and you can reference specific bones from that list. When a job asks for bones, it goes and finds a stack of bone, and then the job will consume one of those bones. It's been consumed, so the game deletes it from the "array".

What happens is that when you use up all the bones in the stack, you have what's called a null data reference, where the array doesn't actually hold any information at all. It SHOULD delete itself, but for some weird reason, you end up with a stack of zero bones. This object has no use in the game, except to be atom smashed. The problem, however, is that it LOOKS identical to a stack of 1 bone.

Dwarves stockpile stacks of 1 bone differently from stacks of 0 bones. I forget exactly how it works, but I know that it does. What I do is I have every bone stack in the fort forbidden, except for the one I'm working at the moment. When it gets to 1 bone left, I'll have it sent back to the stockpile and then forbidden, so that I know it has a bone left in it. When an artifact asks for bones, I'll unforbid one of these single-bone stacks, because they get wholly consumed by artifacts (but not by other jobs, for some reason.) If all you have in the fort are stacks of 0 bones, then the dwarves won't actually be able to find bones, and will be sad until they kill themselves.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 [2]