Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scorching climate  (Read 2984 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scorching climate
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 11:14:46 am »

Another FUN option is to embark in a deathly cold place (by setting minimum temperature to something ridiculously low like -10000 and picking the chilliest corner of the world). It kills your drunks very reliably, although not quite as quickly as throwing them at the sun. Extreme cold functions rather similarly to excessive heat - it destroys organic materials, makes booze unusable etc., just through "cold damage" and freezing instead of evaporation/burning and heat damage.

When staking out a 'meeting zone' via 'i-m', the area will usually (both above- and underground) be marked as 'hot' or 'cold' when in a dangerous-temperature biome. Even the floor above the magma sea will be marked 'cold' in a super-frozen biome. I don't know what exactly is up with that, but it seemed that shoes and socks deteriorated much faster than normal, even though the dwarfs never set a foot outside - it felt like the floor was still causing cold damage to their clothes, even though the cavern water was liquid.

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 02:34:00 pm »

If you embark in such a deathly cold place, could you use magma-heated floors to keep dwarves from dying, and withhold such heat from invaders?
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 03:16:43 pm »

Dug floors always have a comfortable room temperature, so that shouldnt be a problem.
Pages: 1 [2]