Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pickup equipment loop for bolts  (Read 1012 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pickup equipment loop for bolts
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:44:23 pm »

I had a look through some threads and bug reports but they mostly had to do with dwarves not equipping bolts/armor at all.

My problem is a bit different:
I usually collect the bolts that my dwarves leave all over the map. Since stacking seems to be bugged, this results in a lot of 1-bolt-stacks. Now when I use my marksdwarf squad to kill animals they lose one bolt, instantly change status to "Pickup Equipment", run back to the stockpile and pick up one(!) new bolt. Picture this in an endless loop...

Any way to prevent this from happening?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pickup equipment loop for bolts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:00:28 pm »

Try a two stockpile ammo storage system.

Stockpile 1) takes from anywhere, does not use bins, gives to stockpile 2
Stockpile 2) takes only from stockpile 1, uses bins

What happens in my forts with this is the individual bolts are brought in, put in the first stockpile, then a dwarf moves them into a bin in the second.  When a hunter/marksdwarf needs ammo, he hits the second stockpile and loads up on bolts. I don't think I've seen them select only one doing it this way.

The other possible cause of this is you have multiple hunters, but don't have enough bolts specified in the ammunition portion of the military screen. The number listed there is for all hunters or the specified squad, so if you list 30 bolts for hunters, but have 5 hunters, they would get 6 bolts each, or some go without because the others have already picked up ammo.  I'm not sure which happens, but it is possible the second (some not having ammo) could be what you are seeing if the other hunters have <ammo-limit> minus 1 bolts equipped, and the hunter you are watching gets that one remaining bolt for his own use.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"