Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to build channels into water without dwarves drownin  (Read 712 times)

ZrO4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to build channels into water without dwarves drownin
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:36:00 pm »

How to build channels into water without dwarves drowning. Yes how to, as dwarves never climb out, instead

___   :) ____~~~~~~~~ --> ~~~~~~~~~~ <--  :)--> ~~~~~~~~~~~ and drown soon after.
Thanks.
Note: its outdoor channels that are the problem,

[ October 23, 2007: Message edited by: ZrO4 ]

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: How to build channels into water without dwarves drownin
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »

What you want is a floodgate, which becomes either rock wall or channel depending on if you have the floodgate raised or not.

1. Build 5 mechanisms, and 2 floodgates
2. Put your floodgate right next to the water
3. Build a lever somewhere
4. Dig your channel coming out of the floodgate
5. Attach your second floodgate to where you want the channel to end
6. Connect your lever to the 2 floodgates

Then, pull the lever!

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:43:00 pm »

Edit:  ninja'd!  But you can't build floodgates outside of the fortress.

I found that one-tile-by-three-tile sized aqueducts work nicely to draw the water in for your channel, but it is a little annoying finding a spot where the entire 3-tile structure is on land to avoid some bugginess.  Once you find the right spot, just leave one empty tile for the aquaduct, make the channel, move everything away, then make the aquaduct.  If it gets destroyed, you can just rebuild it, it might not work the best for military purposes but nice for trapping wildlife.

Before that I did the dance, where you made sure the dwarf was far from the water and put him in military mode, not too much fun.  Plus sometimes other stuff would walk in.  But the next version should fix that up good.

[ October 23, 2007: Message edited by: nerdpride ]

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 01:08:00 am »

I am usually a big aquaduct fan and can't believe I didn't realise this method sooner!!

Anywho, my most recent method was simply making sure the channel that connects the river/pond to the rest of your channels is MORE than one tile long. I think you can go for channels that are as long as 10 tiles, so I usually leave the last section as wide as can be so that the miner is standing in the middle of the new channel section as he makes it which is about 4 tiles away from the water source. That way he's at least got a little running start ahead of the water.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »

Huh, I've never thought to try the aqueduct method. If I mess with the outside river at all I usually just hand a useless peasant a pick for that last tile and turn off mining for everybody else. He has about a 50/50 chance of survival, and I'm willing for him to accept that level of risk if it means I can have 'ELVES R GAY' written in giant blue letters outside my fortress entrance.