Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will I still get Goblins?  (Read 813 times)

Salazarsam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Will I still get Goblins?
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:53:50 pm »

(I am not a veteran DF player of any means, only a few months.)
    I have a fortress which I am particularly proud of, but the most enjoyable part of dwarf fortress for me is goblins
sieges and fighting. I was curious of my civilizations after realizing I was not getting human caravans. I checked and
realized there was no Kobold or Goblin civilization in the menu. I have around 50 dwarves currently and was wondering
why I was not getting thieves (as far as I can remember, I honestly forget if I have gotten any) Will I not get sieges
or anything of the sort? This is the first fortress I have really gotten established on and would be devastated if my
favorite part of the game was gone from my favorite fortress. Anyone want to disappoint me? (Sorry for noobiness)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Will I still get Goblins?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:07:45 pm »

I believe their civ will only show up in the neighboring civilization screen in game after you've encountered them, so not having goblins there doesn't necessarily mean anything.  If you didn't see them on the embark screen then you'll never get them.

You should have received a thief by now most likely, as well as a probable ambush.  How long how you been playing this particular fort?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Salazarsam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:12:15 pm »

Thankyou for giving me this information. I've been on this fort about 7 hours and a snatcher just popped into one of my cage traps, I was worried I would have to make another fortress. Sorry for the wasted thread. But thankyou!

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:57:04 pm »

If you're building up your wealth slowly, then it can take a while for snatchers and ambushers to think your fort is worth their time. I think once your created wealth goes above ☼80K or so then you'll see them much more often, especially if you end up killing a bunch of them. But if they're in reach of your embark, they'll show.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 04:21:17 am »

It is possible, of course, that there's no goblins with access to your fort. They can't swim across the seas, nor can they cross polar caps. You should check on embark or just abort worlds with more then 1 landmass.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 06:43:51 am »

Thankyou for giving me this information. I've been on this fort about 7 hours and a snatcher just popped into one of my cage traps, I was worried I would have to make another fortress. Sorry for the wasted thread. But thankyou!

'how long' was meant about the fort. 1 year, 2 years etc. Goblins don't show up in the first year or two, and may take their time in the third, though ambushes and thieves should get there after that, sieges may take longer
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.