Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves dismantled empty cages  (Read 369 times)

Wilon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves dismantled empty cages
« on: July 11, 2013, 07:07:38 pm »

So, I decided to make a live training room where my dwarves could fight disarmed goblin captives. I made some cages and mechanisms, and had the goblins put in them, then released at the appropriate time. T'was fun!

However, immediately after the goblins were released, my workers came in and dismantled the now-empty cages, along with the mechanisms. What happened? Why did they do that? How can I get them to leave the cages alone in future so I can reuse them?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves dismantled empty cages
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:29:39 pm »

I feel like they didn't actually "dismantle" these things, but took them and stored them in stockpiles. If you link a built cage to a lever with mechanisms and pull the lever, it will "deconstruct", dumping a cage object and a mechanism on the ground. If these have not been forbidden previously, then somebody will immediately rush in and haul them off to the stockpile.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Wilon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:33:07 pm »

Hmmm, I see! So what can I do in order to invent a reuseable cage that can be opened remotely?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 12:06:20 am »

Hmmm, I see! So what can I do in order to invent a reuseable cage that can be opened remotely?
There's no way to do this, at least not that I know of.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 12:07:45 am »

A pit with a lever-controlled drawbridge exit?
Never pet a burning dog.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 03:12:56 am »

The cage itself is reusable, but you have to re-build it and re-link it each time you pull the lever. It makes resetting slightly more tedious and requires dwarf-power, but, how often do you unload a cage anyways?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 03:20:14 am »

A pit with a lever-controlled drawbridge exit?

This is probably your best bet.  That or just setting up a pasture in your training area and assigning a small number of prisoners to be dragged to their doom.  Pitting and lever/cage systems are really only necessary when you are fighting armed foes, dangerous beasts, or are throwing prisoners to fight armed foes/dangerous beasts.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 08:03:10 am »

Mass pitting is probably your best bit for dumping out your test subjects prisoners. Never have to actually build the cages, just let the dwarves haul them from the cage traps, strip weapons (and armor if you want) then pit them all at once. After the cages are emptied the dwarves will haul them to the empty cage stock pile or an empty cage trap.