Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just a question  (Read 937 times)

LuniqueKero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Just a question
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:19:56 am »

I had been told about dwarf fortress and tried it a few months ago, my friend had built up this game as the most amazing sandbox game ever made in which you can do pretty much anything. I didn't really like it actually but before throwing rocks at me, I acknowledge the insane amount of work put into it and do not think it is a bad game. So here are the things I don't like

-You can't control your dwarves directly
-You can't make dwarves leave your fortress and say, conquer villages,continents, etc.
-You can't control who or when you allow people to immigrate into your fortress

Are any of these points I mentioned changed since a few months ago or are they eventually planned?
And like I said, I'm not saying the game should do these things, I just want to know my personal appeal for it.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Just a question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:29:57 am »

1 and 3 I can confidently say will never be implemented. 2 is on a to do list

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:42:43 am »

1.) Not controlling dwarves directly
-----

I know how you feel, i felt that the first time i played the game, and couldnt get into it, but then i tried and tried again and am now really use to it, and perfer it this way, this way the dwarves are able to have their own personalities and are not just your personal puppets. You're in the position of the "will of the fortress". Compared to a position as an over-seer or god.

3.) Same thing. Althoguh i wish there was a way to completely turn off/on migrants.

However 3 will have some improvements, with the ability to turn off/on immigration in-fort from hill-dwarves, but who honestly knows how far down the track that is.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:35:14 am »

1) Try adventurer mode, if you want.
2) I think that this is being implemented in the next release
3) Two words: Magma pit.
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:14:10 am »

Yeah, 2) is going to be implemented. 1) is just the idea of the game - whole point of dwarf fortress is a simulation, not total control.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:31:43 am »

1) You can directly control some dwarves in a few cases, most notably the military (which has somewhat of a RTS-like feel to it with things like 'make this squad move here' and 'make this squad kill that dude there').

2) Coming sometime in the future (but I doubt it's going to be in next version though).

3) You can sort of do this. First two immigrant waves are scripted and will hit at pre-determined times, the rest of migrant waves you can control via altering the population cap in the ini-files (or by using Lazy Newb Pack which you'll likely find more convenient).
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:25:02 am »

Most of the !!FUN!! happens because the dwarves are dumb as bricks so I get the feeling being able to control them better would in a way be detrimental overall, simply because it would lead to less amusing results.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 11:14:39 am »

-You can't control your dwarves directly
-You can't make dwarves leave your fortress and say, conquer villages,continents, etc.

Army Arc:
"You should be able to control patrols and then armies in dwarf mode. The adventurer should be able to both go with and command armies. In dwarf mode, you should have the option to control your individual patrol members as you would in adventure mode. Entities should war with each other from bandit and monster raids to full fledged wars. Upset entities could patrol near their sites, leading to new wilderness encounters etc."
Core 27:
"You should be able to send patrols (and, as you get more dwarves, armies) out over the world map. They could attack smaller nearby threats, such as a kobold cave, or let you know about incoming invasions."

-You can't control who or when you allow people to immigrate into your fortress
That one'll probably never happen, barring the init. files.