Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridge says it can't be placed there (red Xs) when ther  (Read 862 times)

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bridge says it can't be placed there (red Xs) when ther
« on: October 13, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »

So I built a bridge in the past over the river to cross over, clear out some rock and make my edges more even for the larger bridge I planned to build + guard rails. Now it shows when I try to build a large bridge, a grid of green Xs and a 1 by 6 square of Red Xs. Any tips on how to solve this? I've tried all the utilities I could think of, floor, granite, mud, etc. Nothing seems to change those squares back to however it was the originally were, I REALLY don't want to try and work around this area, it's dead center of the bridge site.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge says it can't be placed there (red Xs) when ther
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »

Oh, I removed the first bridge which I believe was 1x6 in the exact same location, however there was nothing on it when it was removed and everything appears normal.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 11:52:00 pm »

http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bridgezf0.png

Here's a picture of the problem area.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 02:38:00 am »

If you loo(k) over the water where the red crosses are, there might be some stones submerged from the last bridge. I don't know if that is even possible. If that's not it, I'm in the dark here. If there are stones there, bad luck for you, no way to remove them from there.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 09:45:00 am »

The game doesn't realize the other bridge is gone, basically.  Exactly how and why it happened is a mystery only someone with the source code could answer and only after poring through the code for a long time, which is useless since the new DF is almost a total rewrite of the game.

I suggest building a bunch of 1x1 bridges to bridge that area. IMO they look nicer anyway, and they may get around that problem.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »

I had this happen for the first time recently.  I went to place a bridge where none had existed before.  A red X appeared on the inner shore (towards the chasm).  The only thing that happened was someone drowned in the area and I assumed something wasn't cleaned up properly.

I tried again to place the bridge after tending to some other things for a few secs.  The red X was now in the center of the river.  How odd, I thought.  I went ahead and place a temporary 1x5 bridge a few spaces up river just to get across.

No sooner than the bridge was placed and the first dwarf was going across, a frogman attack sprang from the river.  After it was over, I dismantled the bridge.  I was then able to place my original bridge.

Could it have been the game anticipating/tracking the frogmen, or is that subsurface code not even in this version?

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

Interesting. The frogmen were probably "sneaking," that is, waiting in ambush. You may have just found a way to discover those sneaky buggers before a dwarf gets attacked!

The cool part is you can build bridges on dry land, too, so you can theoretically find any ambushing creature, if you want to scan for them. May be something to add to the list of exploits.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

Yeah since my dwarvs can walk over that area no problem, I'm thinking it still thinks the bridge is there, it's annoying but I think it looks ok:
http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fixedbridgefk0.png

Still kinda annoying, I suppose I get the added bonus of being able to walk over and drinkt he water at the same time  :D