Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Murder MYSTERY!  (Read 1286 times)

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Murder MYSTERY!
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:25:08 pm »

Ilral Dismabmat was sleeping in the hospital zone's very convenient bed, because he's too lazy to walk all the way to his nice bedroom. He's so lazy in fact, that he couldn't be bothered to breath, and suddenly suffocated. Here are the facts...
Three people witness his lack of willpower: an injured dwarf, the chief medical dwarf, and a baby.
The injured dwarf suffered an overlapping fracture from an unfortunate wheelbarrow accident when a hive was suddenly loosed on two dwarfs and a water buffalo, after the trader's job of hauling it was retracted by [yours truly]; breaking an arm that healed fine and breaking a foot that has yet to be addressed.
But lazy Ilral arrived half a year after that incident and had no opportunities to suffer injuries because his responsibilities involved tending the fort's farm and dying materials.

So how exactly did Ilral end up in the hospital and why did he suffocate?

Here's where things get weird. Ilral was witnessed to die, he was not found dead afterwards. His neighbor's bed has blood on its tile, that correspond to the neighbor; but Ilral has blood on his body that belongs to an Ilral Rampartbent, not Mr. Dismabmat. Checking the log of corpses reveals his name matches, but also reveals a farmer has also somehow died. Who is this farmer, when and how did he die? Earlier months noted honeybee stings of several dwarfs, but none came forward asking for healing. Was this farmer too stubborn to accept help or was he murdered?

Is there a vampire named Rampartbent that has assumed an alias? Is there there a serial killer on the loose, who enjoys smothering his victims in their sleep to frame a vampire? Or is this a case of something they don't want you to know?
cue scary music

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murder MYSTERY!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:33:05 pm »

This post reserved for updates, the conclusion will be listed in a spoiler; if I ever figure it out...

The farmer was fighting sometime a month ago, so the combat log was inaccessible for him. But we know that he was alive maybe a month or two ago, his corpse is yet to be discovered. Lazy Ilral had cancelled fill pond jobs about the same time frame, but had not been involved in fighting.

Edit: I am convinced that this is who has been killing my dwarfs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Will the authorities own up to responsibility for these mysterious "accidents"? Or are we going to continue to be kept in the dark about something they don't want us to know!?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:02:14 pm by paldin »

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:00:18 pm »

Rampartbent is just the English translation of Dishmabmat.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:46:10 pm »

Interesting. I wonder how this will turn out. How many Ilrals do you have? maybe he got into a fight with one and the other guys. He had a bruised (torn?) lung(s) and had his opponents blood on his clothes. after the incident he was to lazy to go wash so he went to bed and suffocated because of the bruised lung(s)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:10:14 am »

DFHack deathcause is your friend!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:51:42 pm »

PTW. Sounds like Ilral may have been a vampire.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 02:39:05 pm »

It simply says that the cause of death was suffocation. So that definitively rules out a vampire and a murderer, but doesn't really explain how he came to be injured. I only recently started using DFHack (I was trying to get another program to work that would help me determine the best choices for different labors) so I'm not entirely familiar if I just have to select the corpse and then run "deathcause".

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:18:57 pm »

Well, if you have a tracks for hight speed carts adjacent to a heavily used stairwell I guess you're right about the cause. The tracks are marked as low traffic zone but dwarves may still decide them a better option sometimes.
And if dwarf isn't far away from hospital he may get there or be hauled there even if the wound is mortal.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 09:56:40 pm »

Dishmabmat = Rampartbent.  Dishmab = Rampart, Mat = Bent.

Might have been infection from the break that spread to the lungs or something.  Might have been hit by some random falling thing which damaged his lungs and led to suffocation.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:13:17 pm »

It's worth clarifying that I don't use minecarts. The collision was with a wheelbarrow. I think infection from injury that spread to lungs is very likely.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 02:04:37 am »

It's also possible if you have any angry sort of ghosts for them to do all sorts of nasty stuff to your dwarves.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 02:37:19 am »

Infection doesn't spread, it just kills suddenly while still sitting on the same infected toe.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science