Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dropping lava off a cliff into water...  (Read 1393 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dropping lava off a cliff into water...
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:14:00 am »

I have a map with a magma vent two rivers and two waterfalls.  I was thinking about testing this, but I don't want to drain out half of my magma on something that may turn out to be a bad thing.

If I channel from the cliffside (over water) to the magma pit, will the magma hit the water and turn into Obsidian, then overflow that obsidian into the neighboring water, turning into obsidian, cascading into a complete conversion of all my river to an obsidian pile? Since it's a waterfall, would the water then collect on top of that obsidian, along with the lava, causing the next layer to turn into obsidian and so forth up until the entire valley is full of obsidian?
http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=magmatestyz4.png

[ Edit: Spelling ]

[ June 12, 2008: Message edited by: Andir ]

"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping lava off a cliff into water...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:20:00 am »

I havn't had much experience with lava physics at all, but I can't see why it would be a bad idea to try  :D

Also, good luck running that map at any decent speed, that's huge, and with that much running water? eep!

I'm Mr. Cellophane

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 07:25:00 am »

Well, i can at least tell you that it would take a looooooooong time for the magma to finally reach the "lavafall", if at all. Since magma flows quite slowly in itself it'll be getting slower and slower the farther away from the source it gets.

Like water magma/lava will evaporate if a tile stays too long at 1/7. I realized this once when i made a huge lava moat and the lava evaporated before it could reach the end.

[ June 12, 2008: Message edited by: Yourself86 ]

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 07:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Agdune:
<STRONG>I havn't had much experience with lava physics at all, but I can't see why it would be a bad idea to try   :D

Also, good luck running that map at any decent speed, that's huge, and with that much running water? eep!</STRONG>

It's standard size, I've never really had issues with that size before and I've had some pretty ugly water events.

"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 08:06:00 am »

I've done the reverse.  That is, dropping water from an aqueduct some two z-tiles above a magma vent.

It creates single blocks of obsidian where the water lands, which promptly realize they have no support and sink off the map, pausing the came with a "A portion of your cavern has collapsed!" message or somesuch.

Eventually water splashes about and you end up with a pure obsidian cap under the drop point.

For a waterfall, you'd end up with a similar result.  A pile of obsidian until the water got stopped.  Rivers in this game don't flow around dams, so one the obsidian filled a spot, the water would stop there.

So make darn sure you have  a way to stop the magma flow when you need to.  A magma-safe floodgate with magma-save mechanisms is a start.

Otherwise you'll have a thin layer of obsidian over most of the map and a spreading blob of magma as well.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:09:00 am »

Whoop, just looked at your image.

Ok, in the case of what you posted, you'll basically fill that lake-ish looking spot there with obsidian, or magma separated from water with an obsidian wall, at the top level.

Also you'll have a channel across a huge section of map, and things will be skittish about it.  Might cause fires, not sure on that.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

I know it's not listed in the wiki, but can you make a magma safe gate out of obsidian?

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Andir:
<STRONG>I know it's not listed in the wiki, but can you make a magma safe gate out of obsidian?</STRONG>

So far as I've seen, magma-safe means Iron, Steel, and Bauxite.

Now, a closed floodgate made of featherwood will stop a magma flow.  As will a closed wooden door.  The problem is that once it's opened, it becomes unclosable and will burn in about two seconds.

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 05:52:00 am »

If you channel water TO magma, the first drip of water will turn the magma into obsidian and thus blockade the water channel, right?

What if you drop water to the edge of the magma vent, thus extending a "bridge" of obsidian over the vent slowly?
Wouldn't this cap the vent so that no fire imps etc. can mess with your fortress ever again, provided you have tens of magma-proof grates in any magma pipes leading to your fortress, or some other intruder-magma-proof precation?

Actually, if it caps the vent, it would also create a giant hot-spring.

Karpatius cancels Eat: thirsty.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius has died of thirst.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 07:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karpatius:
<STRONG>
Wouldn't this cap the vent so that no fire imps etc. can mess with your fortress ever again, provided you have tens of magma-proof grates in any magma pipes leading to your fortress, or some other intruder-magma-proof precation?
</STRONG>

Yah, see my first post in this thread.  It caps the vent with obsidian, and fireimps/magmamen stay where they should stay, underground in the goop.

Plus you get a neat blotch of obsidian there.  You could build a dark tower.