Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How Engraving Value Works?  (Read 1786 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
How Engraving Value Works?
« on: July 05, 2013, 05:18:22 am »

Okay, so, I know it's a multiplicative thing, and that it's based on the base value of the tile being used - a hematite floor tile that's smoothed is worth more than a granite smooth floor, and so on.

Does anyone know the exact values?  How much smoothing increases the value of a floor or wall (for that matter, the base value of a wall - is it the material value, or the value of a boulder of that material, which is material value x 3?), and then how much engravings multiply that (I assume by the same values as anything else with quality)?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Engraving Value Works?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:44:36 am »

Kind of depends on the context.

Material Value (ie. the kind of stone being smoothed/engraved) is not taken into account when it comes to calculating the amount of wealth being added to your fort. Otherwise, the material value is being multiplied for calculating the room value (if the smoothed/engraved tile is within a designated room).

Also note additional calculations are being made depending on several factors, so I can't simply give out a simple formula for you to do the trick.

Reading the amazing work by Kipi which can be found in this thread: Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

You want to refer to the Smoothing and Engraving paragraphs

Other relevant info you can find in the wiki at the following pages:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Material_value#Material_multipliers
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Room
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: How Engraving Value Works?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:07:41 am »

Engraving is calculated by EV=10*QM*MV. The wealth is increased by 10*QM only, so again MV has no effect to the wealth.
•EV = Value of engraving.
•QM = Quality modifier. If something has a quality, QM is used.
•MV = Material value. Usually used in context of tile material, though in case of items also the material item was made. Defined in raws.