Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cages  (Read 828 times)

Prox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cages
« on: October 08, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »

Love this game, especially now that I have a fortress that's attracting goblin and ratmen sieges.  Many of my traps are cage traps, so I'm getting a lot of captured goblins and ratmen.  To take care of them, I've built a room full of traps so I can release them to their doom.  This gets tedious though, since I have to build each cage and then connect each of them to the lever, keeping my mechanics from more pressing concerns.  Is there an easier way of killing prisoners short of chasming the cages?

Also, if you have a tame animal in a cage, is there a way of releasing them without building the cage?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cages
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Prox:
<STRONG>
Also, if you have a tame animal in a cage, is there a way of releasing them without building the cage?</STRONG>
`
No, but if you build the cage you can simply select it with [q] and unassign them.

As for the rest I'm not so sure.

[ October 08, 2007: Message edited by: Karlito ]

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 03:19:00 am »

What you can try is: build only 1 cage and place an animal stockpile around it (one that accepts only filled cages not empty ones and animal traps). It should look like this:

===
=C=  (C=cage)
===

You might want to set the new stockpile to (T)ake from another animal stockpile.
Then you can use (q) on the built cage to assign goblins and ratmen from cages in the stockpile to it. Due to the short distance, the transfer will go undisturbed. (Normally the hauler will realize he is hauling a hostile creature and cancel the job).
If you think your cage is full enough, pull the lever and unleash doom (archers?).

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 10:40:00 am »

This kind of thing is perfect to quickly train your military.  It can be deadly to your dwarves if you're not careful choosing the enemies they fight.

Prox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 02:48:00 pm »

quote:
This kind of thing is perfect to quickly train your military.

That's not a bad idea.  Do I still have to release them for my military to attack?  They don't seem to care about anyone in cages.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 05:32:00 am »

Yes you still have to release them. The difference is, that with the method I described, you will only need to link one cage to a lever (thus costing you only 2 mechanisms per release action (and an initial one more for the lever ofcourse). And if you're dealing with a lot of captured goblin archers, save your military and put some (tame) elephants with them in the cage before pulling the lever... Or dogs, but elephants are just so much more fun.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:16:00 am »

I use a set up like this that doesnt use any mechanisms and hasnt cost me a dwarf yet.  Build a 6x6, build ropes on one side, your caged goblins, ratmen or other hostile creatures have there cages built on the other, Set your military on duty in the middle, find a trapper with animal training or animal care (Idont know which) and have them do no labour but the trapping stuff (trapping, animal care, Not hunting) then assign the goblin to a rope, the trapper will get a cage, take the goblin from its cage, put it in the new cage and take it to the rope, the trapper will them tie the goblin to the rope and your military will swamp them and hack them to small bits (build your killing room near the chasm or I use a pile just for corpses and bodyparts to rot them down for bones.)
The goblin can escape when 1. the cage is picked up from the pile (not likely, but I use hallways for animal stockpiles, 3 dwarvish civies can usually take down a goblin footslogger.
2. when the goblin is transfered to the cage and
3. during assigning to the rope  2+3 dont matter because the room is packed with armed dwarves. Dont do this with animals, any dwarf will have a go and they get scared and run off. only trappers seem to work with hostile creatures and ropes.
Hostile creatures dont seem to get away that often and with 10 or so military in the room heads fly fast so any that do get away dont last long.  A stone fall trap just as a crippler on the door is also fun (I have about a dozen novice wrestlers from my relese the kiddie snatcher and then have whoever happens to be around out on their angry pants and do a bit of kicking program, my house Ber tore off a snatchers ear then choked the little bugger to death)
+++++
C++++
++++R
C+++R

C = Cage, R = Rope, + = floor, assign military by the dozen for training and the joy of slaughter.
Trying this with missile foes is a bad idea,
Trying it with Bowlords is suicidal.

If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Prox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

I made a similar setup and it worked well.  Thanks for the ideas.