Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact Adamantine Warhammer, What Do?  (Read 4962 times)

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact Adamantine Warhammer, What Do?
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:34:32 pm »

Alright, so I decided to build a fortress where Adamantine is the first thing made, and within two years my Weaponsmith went and caught himself a touch of the fay and constructed an Adamantine Warhammer. Naturally, I'm thinking, "Fuck yeah!" so I assign it to Urist McHaulerDwarf and had him train for a while (not sure how long, playing Persona 3 while dorfing). Then, about an hour ago, I got my first Goblin Christmas, so I send out Urist McGrandMasterHammerdwarf, who is my only military dwarf due to me thinking , "Dude's got an Adamantine weapon!" Five minutes or so later, he's dead (along with four haulers and a planter) and I'm thinking, "WTF mate?" After checking the wiki, I learn that Warhammers calculate damage by how heavy a weapon is, unlike the swords I usually use, so this thing is slightly less destructive than a Nerf gun. Now, thanks to my Miners (Praise them indeed!) my fortress has survived, but now I'm stuck with this piece of useless crap. Anyone have any idea on what I can use it for? I don't want to just melt the thing down, but I want to get use out of everything in the fortress.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Adamantine Warhammer, What Do?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 11:40:51 pm »

Ah yes, the Legendary Wiffle Bat problem.

Anyway, the correct answer is to put it in a weapon trap in some noble's room for him to ooh and aah over.  It's still crazy valuable after all.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 12:39:34 am »

Either that or convince your hammerer to use it to 'punish' 'criminals'.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 02:05:28 am »

I'd go with the hammerer option myself  a largeish fort tends to produce tones of expensive crap for noble quarters.  On the other hand that thing is perfect for a hammerer. 

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 04:31:28 am »

Yeah, that's also a good option.  A hammerer with a wiffle bat is a real relief to your dwarves.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 10:35:06 am »

I part of the "find the wimpiest dwarf in the fortress, make him the hammerer and assign him the adamantine 'hammer' " crowd as well. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 01:17:11 pm »

I was gonna vote for "give it to someone as a weapon trap to jack up the value of the room like crazyton" but that's cause I don't know the best way to assign stuff to a hammerer and then ABSOLUTELY MAKE SURE he doesn't use other things. If you can do it, then yes, give it to the now-useless hammerer. Dwarven Justice is completely useless after all anyways, since the only actual crime is the failure to produce 88 crystal glass armor stands for your king, and if anybody actually offends you personally, you can just atom-smash them.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 04:17:34 pm »

I was gonna vote for "give it to someone as a weapon trap to jack up the value of the room like crazyton" but that's cause I don't know the best way to assign stuff to a hammerer and then ABSOLUTELY MAKE SURE he doesn't use other things. If you can do it, then yes, give it to the now-useless hammerer. Dwarven Justice is completely useless after all anyways, since the only actual crime is the failure to produce 88 crystal glass armor stands for your king, and if anybody actually offends you personally, you can just atom-smash them.

This, I always just say FUCK JUSTICE, YOU GO WITHOUT. Let the useless nobles whine all they want that the stupid crap they want isn't being made, they exist to serve my whims, not the other way around.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 04:19:12 pm »

I have a dwarf who actually scored some kills with a masterwork adamantine warhammer (yeah, i actually went and ordered an adamantine hammer from my smiths :P ). Admittedly, those were animalpeople, but i guess with good skill and some luck, such a weapon might even kill someone wearing _clothes_.

EDIT: and if you had your sights set on killing some traders/caravan guards this way, you could just order your beards to undress them first...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:21:00 pm by Larix »

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 07:46:57 pm »

I think I'll go with the Hammerer idea. I don't actually have one yet, but I'm sure he'll enjoy his new NERF brand Adamant Hammer!

Also, I suspect that whatever causes fey moods is out to get me because, I shit you not, the wife of my new Weaponsmith went fey and constructed a Dwarf Bone Battleaxe. Yeah, I'm not touching this one.

Note: I believe the battle axe to be made from my ex-hammerdwarf.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 08:03:18 pm by InfinityOrNone »

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 08:50:13 pm »

I think I'll go with the Hammerer idea. I don't actually have one yet, but I'm sure he'll enjoy his new NERF brand Adamant Hammer!

Also, I suspect that whatever causes fey moods is out to get me because, I shit you not, the wife of my new Weaponsmith went fey and constructed a Dwarf Bone Battleaxe. Yeah, I'm not touching this one.

Note: I believe the battle axe to be made from my ex-hammerdwarf.

ROFL According to the Dwarven ethics she should be immediately sent to the front of the hammering list.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 10:26:33 pm »

Should be, but if nobody actually witnesses the murder that happens during a Fell Mood, nobody will ever get punished for the crime.

I would have her subjected to Justice just because that is an incredibly bad weapon :(
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread