Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Architects getting stuck  (Read 910 times)

caeono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Architects getting stuck
« on: October 08, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »

Yeah, so basically all 3 of my dwarves with Architecture enabled gather on this square, pretty far away from any construction job. They all insist that they are constructing a building. Any suggestions? I can't anything built without them...

EDIT: I tried canceling every construction job. It worked, they all left the square. But when I tried starting up totally different jobs, and they all went back to the same square and sat there. Blah!

[ October 08, 2007: Message edited by: caeono ]

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Architects getting stuck
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »

it looks to me like they are trying to grab that rock in the channel.

try unflooding it if possible? otherwise find which construction is trying to use it, cancel it and them have it use some other rock instead.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

caeono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »

Ahhh, of course... the rock. Thanks alot!

Prox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »

I had this happen to me, too, but it was at a Farming Workshop instead of a canal.  It solved itself eventually, though.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 03:51:00 am »

I had two situations similar to this.  

The first was when a bronze flask got piled on top of the magma flow when a magma smelter was disassembled.  Don't ask me how - all I know is that no bridges were involved.  Upon an attempt to reassemble the workshop, the architect did exactly what is described by the OP.  granite.exe saved the day, but I'll try a bridge next time.

The second is not so similar, but the effect is the same.  On several occasions, I've had military dwarves get "stuck" at a position with easy access to surrounding grids.  Whenever on duty, the dwarf will run to that position, regardless of attempts to reset his station, whenever he isn't doing something special (like picking up stuff or drinking).  This freeze-in-place location can be cleared by deactivating the soldier (based on several tests).   It seems also to be cleared (only one test thus far) when patrol positions are set, the soldier starts patrolling, and the positions then deleted.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

caeono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

Yeah, it was mainly just a result of being lazy. I was trying to run a fortress without any stone stockpiles (I got tired of all my dwarves just hauling stone constantly) and so the tunnel never got cleaned up. Built a channel over it and viola! From now on, I need to avoid building things with these rock for the rest of the game.

Sometimes I wish there was just a "build with whatever's close by" option for bridges, workshops, etc.