Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are 'sites'?  (Read 832 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are 'sites'?
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:54:34 pm »

I am sure this has been discussed, but there are so many posts here its hard to find stuff and 'sites' is a common term. What does toady mean when he talks about sites? Are these other fortresses that will be simulated with you? Is this very different from towns? Does this significantly change how elves/goblins are spawned now.

its hard to cobble stuff together.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: What are 'sites'?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 01:07:16 pm »

Sites (as discussed currently) are elven forest retreats, dark goblin fortresses, dwarven hillocks/fortresses/mountain halls, and kobold caves. They will be visitable in Adventure Mode again (well, caves already were, but the others weren't). They will mostly be different from human towns/hamlets, indeed - forest retreats will feature trees rather than buildings, goblin towers can go down around 150 z-levels....
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:19:09 pm »

Simplest possible answer. Every single unique area. Fortress, town, retreat, cave, lair, camp, etc.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:29:48 pm »

.., tower, tomb, temple, ...

Basically a "site" as defined in game is any point of interest on a map.  In the current release, player made fortresses and human structures are the only sites that have any architecture to speak of (excluding roads and bridges, but those are map features, not sites).  The sites of the other races are represented on the map, but if you visit them, there is nothing there.  It's as though you walk to the place on the map where the world map says "Dwarf MountainHome Here" but you're just standing on an imaginary "X marks the spot" with not buildings, items, anything.

What will be happening in the next release is that more of these points of interest on the map will be fleshed out in a more meaningful way.  As far as we know, Kobold sites still won't be re-introduced.

A number of site types had been available to visit with buildings, etc. in previous releases of DF.  However, Toady wasn't happy with how they worked in the world, and removed them until he could make them work better.  That time is now.  Moving forward, a site will be a location, or area that an entitity (creature, band, civilization, cult, etc.) has, or has had, some degree of claim to.

Something I will be eagerly looking forward to is how World Activity (I can hardly call it World Gen anymore) will deal with necessarily culling sites.  What of the site that a small cult had claim to for only 2 years, in the middle of a desert, and had only begun work on their first wooden shrine, barely 5 tiles of work?  Will this persist for 500 more years?  Will the site claim diminish, only to vanish in 10 years?  20 years?  Without an entity occupying the site, will the walls crumble to dust?  When there is no recognizable architecture or artifact (in archaeological terms) readily recognizable, will the site simply fade back into the surrounding biome?  Or will there be persistent, but ever harder to discern sites persistent ad infinitum?  Would you be able to harrow a feild, one day in the future, and turn up a coin from a once powerful city state?  This find sparking excavation of the remains of the site that stood in this spot in the Age of Myth?

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:50:15 am »

so when toady does a release every major feature gets a .x increase. Are sites one .x increase? he seems to do releases with 3-4 increments by looking at the announcements. What other major features does he appear to be working on for the next release?

it looks like major releases tend to be about 12-18 months from the last major release. no guarantee,but that seems to be very consistent. I believe one was 2.5 years later though. i think .34 came out last April, so does it look like there are good odds of another major release by the end of the year? Its kind of hard to tell from the blog what he is exactly working on. I believe there is a chart somewhere of 100 major features, what is implemented, and what is in the works. I cant remember where it is. can someone point it to me?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 07:10:32 pm »

I believe there is a chart somewhere of 100 major features, what is implemented, and what is in the works. I cant remember where it is. can someone point it to me?

You may be referring to the old dev page from 0.28.181.40d and before, when the version number was determined by how many Core, Req, and Bloat items were implemented in the game. That feature-tracking method was discarded starting with 0.31.01, although the features themselves are still on the table for the future.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!