Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missiles vs Colossus  (Read 450 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Missiles vs Colossus
« on: October 08, 2007, 01:55:00 am »

A Colossus just moved into my neighborhood.  He isn't bothering anyone so far, but it's only a matter of time that somebody steps into his detection zone and starts a chain reaction.  So I want him dead.  And I'll get a neat statue.

I know that you can kill a colossus with a horde of melee troops, especially with wrestling.  But I don't many good wrestlers or melee troops.  Instead, I have lots of marksdwarves and two legendary siege operators.

So has anybody out there ever killed or at least damaged a colossus with crossbows or siege engines?  Any advice?

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Re: Missiles vs Colossus
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 04:52:00 am »

It's not recommended to try and take down a colossus with only marksdwarves. I've had 3 legendary marksdwarves get beaten to pieces by one before after firing all their arrows at it and not even scratching it. However I've also heard someone say once that an elite bowgoblin during a siege shot and killed a colossus, so hey, you might get lucky if you try that.

Another (safer) option you have is to have your legendary siege ops fire catapult stones at it continuously for a few months. A direct hit with a stone landing the colossus will most likely severely damage or kill it (note that the stone has to land on it or bounce into it). If you have high quality catapults this should be no problem.

Overall, some kind of melee rush is most highly recommended, but this is somewhat out of the question unless you're willing to lock your dwarves inside to wait and train up your military. There's no really safe way of taking down a colossus using this method without legendary melee dwarves with high quality iron or better weapons and armor.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:17:00 am »

I had a titan move into the edge of my map just the other day. I fired catapults and (very slowly) ballista at it for about 14 months without a single hit as far as I can tell. I believe I graphically 'hit' it once, but it may have sailed over it's head or some such. It had a minor injury but i think that was from some zombie warthogs. I dunno if titans are siege resistant, but I'm ridiculously underwhelmed by their effectiveness, at least in this instance.

Eventually I won by getting my two hammer dwarves to take on 25 war dogs each, my champion archer and a normal archer. basically i buried it in a sea of dogs. lost one hammer dwarf though.  :)

If i had to try it again i'd take a random dwarf I don't care about, assign him 50 or so war dogs and make him go stand out near the zone of detection till the titan charges, letting the dogs win the day.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:21:00 am »

On time I managed to bait a colossus into my moated entryway and trap it there by retracting the bridges. Of course, I had fortifications lining the walls there with a stockpile of ammo behind them, so I called up my marksdwarves (including several champions) and had them go to town. It took about 200 bolts in all to bring it down, although most of them didn't have a very good angle so there were quite a few misses even considering they were all Expert or better in their skills.