Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm cursed!  (Read 1830 times)

melmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm cursed!
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:43:39 pm »

Me and my husband are playing DF for years, starting new fortresses on regular basis.
On his side - everything is ok, he always find great spots (with multiple cascades, minerals,  volcano at the same time). Cool and safe.
Me, in the other hand...
Once I spawned directly on a manticore. I didn't have a manticore somewhere on the map, I spawned ON a manticore.
I spawned on a some kind on titan once.
I spawned on a frozen river, and before I could did anything a fly of vultures arrived ans steal most of my food. I still laugh when thinking about that one.
I won't event count how often my dwarves appeared near a wolf pack or a tiger.
And I started a nex forteress today. Spawned DIRECTLY on a pond filled with alligators, lost 2 dogs, 3 dwarves and some equipement in 30 sec.
What are the odds, for god sake?!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: I'm cursed!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:19:21 pm »

*loughs cackling* You are cursed.

;) if you have a river try to have it not in the middle the rest though is hard luck. We call it "FUN".
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:25:47 pm »

*loughs cackling* You are cursed.

;) if you have a river try to have it not in the middle the rest though is hard luck. We call it "FUN".

No, losing is fun... not even getting to play is another story.

melmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:02:23 am »

Well, It is fun. A little bit frustrating fun, but still fun. Maybe because I have enough imagination to see in my mind the whole scene : a manticore who find on her way a tasty seven dwarves diner, a bunch of dwarwes slipping on an iced river under vutlure's army attack , dwarwes trying to escape death by alligator using "nova star" evasif pattern, but there are a lot more alligators then dwarves so everyone have two or three beasts chasing him. And finally, there is only a lonely cart, on a blood spattered plain...

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:36:35 am »

I once embarked next to the herd of giant badgers.

Your settlement has crumbled to its end.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 01:50:47 am »

I think the deal with DF is that some people are just FUN magnet, and some people like me just have a knack of making everything boring.

A community fort I once participated in was rundown and essentially fucked. When I took control as Overseer, there was no moods or invasions.

None.

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 11:11:11 am »

Hahahaha!

Oh man, I tend to be boreing myself.

Drowning is mostly what gets my dwarfs, also horribly unorganized forts with abandonment.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 03:44:22 pm »

What are the odds, for god sake?!
One time, I had fun exploiting a curious mechanic in .31. I embarked with many materials, abandoned and reclaimed with more materials. As long as the stuff stayed in the wagons they were preserved and not scattered, so they built up.
In the river, another thing was building up too.
Eventually I decided I had enough materials and set out to build a Fortress. I unpaused the game.
Over 90 wild alligators climbed out of the river to destroy everything - including the myriad sea of other wild things.

It. Was. Beautiful.

melmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 11:34:20 am »

I started a new fortress,  everything was perfect, I have just finished my great meeting room and been waiting to welcome my first caravan...guess who came? a troll! He killed everyone. I a little bit upset now...

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 09:02:23 pm »

EMBARK ON A GLACIER. THE TROLLS CAN'T GET YOU THERE!

[Urist's eye twitches worryingly. You vaguely remember him entering a fell mood earlier after his favorite blue peahen died when you embarked on a nest of giant mosquitoes and tigermen and a mosquitotigerman titan. He hasn't killed anyone yet and is staring at you.]

Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 09:18:49 pm »

I have the boring curse, I am not well equipped to have FUN in df, pretty much all my forts that I don't start on evil biomes die because I abandoned them after I got bored.

I did once try and take on the Caverns with no weapons or armor.....which ended in a GCS killing a few people, then a GIANT OLM killing 90% of the fort because the spider had webbed everything.
Also abandoned due to boredom, because no one watched/replied to it. (I was attempting a community game, read Axerings if interested)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.