Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with the leftovers from a siege  (Read 615 times)

GameHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with the leftovers from a siege
« on: October 07, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »

Every single fortress I've ever built runs into a common problem:

1) Goblins besiege my fortress

2) Traps at my entrance annihilate the goblins

3) I'm stuck with stacks upon stacks of slightly damaged goblin gear in my entryway

4) Even when my dwarves manage to stockpile the stuff, it's still worthless - slightly damaged goods can't be traded.

Anyone have a good solution to this?  The BEST I've ever done is to, with the bookkeeper, mark all damaged stuff for chasming.  This still takes FOREVER, because each goblin might drop 6 pieces of clothing/armor, which means I have to manually chasm click thousands of items, PLUS my dwarves take forever at actually clearing it.

Anyone help me out?

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with the leftovers from a siege
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

KeyPresser.exe
A wonderful tool for marking huge lists of items for chasming or trading.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

cliffjeff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »

magma would do the trick of melting whatever's non-metal (right?), but that would involve setting up a magma defense around your entrance which you probably would have done already if you wanted to.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

I don't know what you are talking about. Goods can be traded regardless of their damage modifier, it only affects their value.

Perhaps you mean the parentheses? That indicates that the item was created outside of your fortress and does not contribute to fortress wealth. Or exported wealth. Or something. I think both. Those can be traded but they cannot be given as an offering to merchants.

[ October 08, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

GameHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 12:32:00 am »

Hmm,

I'll have to try trading some of this junk.

I've been assuming that anything in a <> or maybe () (not sure? font?) is worthless.  It is unable to be offered.

We'll see

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by GameHat:
<STRONG>Hmm,

I'll have to try trading some of this junk.

I've been assuming that anything in a <> or maybe () (not sure? font?) is worthless.  It is unable to be offered.

We'll see</STRONG>

You can't offer it but you sure as can trade it and it does have value.  Most of the time you can buy out the human caravan with your piles of goblin junk once sieges get going.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 11:05:00 am »

chasm the cloth/leather garbage (not worth trading IMO). Set up a stockpile to hold the other stuff way back by the magma smelter and melt it all down.

it takes forever to drag everything back there, and a pretty long time to melt it, but you have basically unlimited iron bars. makes training smiths ALOT easier.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 12:42:00 pm »

My dislike of the bookkeeper and his (or her) dastardly economy keeps me from melting all the goblins' metal armor.

In a previous fortress I used it to decorate.  http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-1649-armorgarden

In my current fortress I am hitting the human caravan's weight limit every time I trade and trying not to worry about their ridiculously high profits.

quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us