Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrels disappearing  (Read 1342 times)

Jhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Barrels disappearing
« on: June 11, 2008, 08:10:00 am »

I begin to be a fairly regular poster, just keeping asking questions.   :roll:

My latest problem is the following : my best carpenter regularly (more or less every three months) suffer from art defacement. As the barrels are his most important production by far, I guess one masterful barrel of his is destroyed, but I never can figure out why.

I am wondering : are vermins "eating" the barrel (despite my dozen of cats)? Are they "rotting away" due to staying too long in the still? Does another less stupid explanation exist?

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrels disappearing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

Same thing happened to me in one fortress (and never before or again after it). He too only made bins, barrels and beds and since i doubt that beds get lost somehow, it must be the barrels which are used for a lot of tasks.

*whistles the x-files theme*

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:23:00 am »

I've read stories where apparently putting booze in barrels resets their quality, and qualifies as art defacement. I haven't had this happen myself, but it's what I've read on this forum before.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

I know for sure that masterwork bolts that are melted or dropped into magma/otherwise disposed of, is considered "defacement". My Legendary bonecrafter is constantly complaining about it.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Moogie:
<STRONG>I know for sure that masterwork bolts that are melted or dropped into magma/otherwise disposed of, is considered "defacement". My Legendary bonecrafter is constantly complaining about it.</STRONG>

Well, mine never complained about the masterful bone bolts lost through target practice.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:04:00 am »

Master crafters don't mind if the objects are used properly. It's if they're left to rot, get lost or get stolen. Or quite possibly putting smelly booze into it. I think this is generally regarded as a bug.

[ June 11, 2008: Message edited by: Loctavus ]

Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Jhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

Ok, then I understand the problem. It seems to be the case for me too.

Another question I don't want to open a new topic for : Do you know of any tileset that reproduce exactly or almost the original, except for the engraving? I could'nt find one on the wiki, or I wasn't sure. All those "false dwarves" just make my rooms psychedelic.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

You can toggle off display of engravings in the init file or with designations; however, it'll change the walls/floors to look like smoothed walls/floors with a white background, which frequently isn't desirable either (though it's a sight bit better than having fake creatures all over the place).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

I've been noticing barrels disappearing too - I make a lot of barrels, they get used by my brewer to make drinks, but when all the drinks are drunk there are no empty barrels so I have to keep making new ones.

I've just been assuming it must be a bug and that when a barrel of drink is gone the barrel gets destroyed.

MarmaN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

if you have a magma vent then this is probably caused by fire snakes.  They are vermin that randomly spawn around vents and will destroy any wooden container that they happen to be on.  If you don't have magma... I have no idea.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

Erm ... Do you trade away stuff in barrels, and entire bins (instead of just the content)?

Fooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

I can confirm also the it is indeed FIRESNAKES.  I have actually sat their watching a firesnake destroy my booze stockpile.  One snake took out 3 barrels before either a cat or trapper finally snagged the bugger.  The barrel will be destroyed and the tile will have a liquid type double wavy line.  These will be different colors according to booze type.  A dwarf will then get a clean job to mop it up(but I like to think this job is employed with his beard and mouth).

Even worse though is when those firesnakes go after your seed bags.  Watched the snake take out a 100 seed maxed out bag.  What a joyful bounteous amount of jobs that created for food hauling.

Some snakes were toying around a built cage with about 20 dogs in it made of wood, but never got in the same tile.  I wonder if it could take that out too as built... or maybe only unbuilt cages of wood.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fooster:
<STRONG>FIRESNAKES</STRONG>

This sounds like the worst thing ever ... unless you could somehow use a trapped fire snake as a fire starter.

No?

Oh well. And there's no way to trap and then release them outside. Put all your fire snakes on the plain, for example.

My answer would be to keep your main dwarven living/work/storage areas far away from magma. To power your magma workshops, just create a magmaduct to your workshops. As far as I can tell, fire snakes come from the magma zone and not just any magma - I have never seen a fire snake near even open magma pits above my magmaducts.

Anyone care to confirm the fire snake source hypothesis?

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Jhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

Incredibly, I currently have a magma vent. I am using two aqueducts for my workshops (glass/metal) with fortifications, and I have a dozen of cats wandering around, but as it happens only once a season or less - that could be an explanation.

Concerning the issue of the booze reinitializing the quality of a barrel, I don't think this is true, as I currently do have masterful-crafted booze barrels.

By the way, thanks for the init trick, I'll take a look at it. Everythink is better than a 200-dwarves fortress with food anywhere... when this is just an illusion.