Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Party Quest (or I Am Forever Bad at Naming Things)  (Read 1441 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Party Quest (or I Am Forever Bad at Naming Things)
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:37:01 pm »

Party Quest (or I Am Forever Bad at Naming Things)

In this game you will play a group of adventurers who’ve banded together to follow their dreams. Each of you possesses a certain skillset or some other valuable assets, but that alone is not enough to reach your goal. You’ll need the help of your fellow party members to help face the challenges on your way to ultimate victory.

This is intended to be a game of cooperation and camaraderie. If you are the kind of person who just likes to go off and do their own thing, please don’t apply for this game, it’s not meant for you.
That’s not to say that you can’t split up or occasionally go off and do your own thing, but the idea is that each of you is a part of the group and needs each other in some respect. If that ever becomes no longer the case, your character can go off to do their own thing and you can make a new character for whom that is the case.

I’ll take 4-6 players (the intention is for the group to be small so that everyone has a chance to get know everyone else better). Use the following template for your character sheets:

Quote from: Character Template
Your Name: What name are you known as by your fellow adventurers?
Ultimate Goal: What do you ultimately seek to accomplish through adventuring? You can include pertinent backstory here, though backstory isn’t strictly necessary; I just need to know what you’re after and possibly why. This shouldn’t be some trivial thing; it should be something you’ll be trying to acquire throughout the whole game.
Why you’re with the party: How does the party help you reach your goal? What ties you to the party: do their goals align well with yours; do they have something you can’t find anywhere; or do you have a special connection with one or more of the party members? Why don’t you just go off and do your own thing?
What you bring to the party: As it says, what makes the party want to keep you in it’s employ? It isn’t necessarily special skills, you might have funds or access to some special contacts that make you valuable, or secret knowledge or something else I haven’t thought of.
Your Problem: What in your character’s life causes them or gets them into the most trouble? This should be neither a trivial bother nor a major handicap, just something they struggle with often but are not overcome by. It should be something that adds interest to the character and to the game and makes your character more 3-dimensional.

I don't expect your character sheet to be completely done in one go; the "Why you're with the party section" especially will require collaboration with other players, but it will be nice to have at least a general idea of what your character is like to start with.

To begin with, the world will, by design, start out as a vague and undefined fantasy world, to be fleshed out by player goals and skills/assets and any other parts of the character sheet that might apply. Players can also suggest any other details they'd like to see in the gameworld, as well as adding details in play, subject to veto by other players. I'll also add details of my own as we go along.

Since I'm not really good at coming up with systems, and the open-ended nature of the thing making trying to create concrete rules for the thing tricky anyway, we're going to do this freeform style. Not that I'm opposed to any sort of system, and, if we can devise one that would fit the game, I'd be all for it and integrate it as soon as possible, but for now this is what we've got.

Now, this shouldn't run into the problems of most such games, since there is a limited number of players; as GM I reserve the right to do whatever is necessary, including kicking disruptive players, to preserve the integrity of the game; and I vest in players the right to vote anything they deem entirely too stupid to be retroactively non-canon. Also, I shall play any NPCs as needed.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:29:31 am by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Party Quest (or I Am Forever Bad at Naming Things)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:37:29 pm »

(Reserved for Character Sheets)
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:24:00 am »

I think I'll give this a little bump since I posted it late last night (and I can probably reuse this post for something else in the future).

Oh, and it might be good if people came up with ideas of what they'd like the starting area to be like.
Glory to Arstotzka!

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 12:28:01 pm »

Your Name: Hawk Remband
Ultimate Goal: To tame a dragon.
Why you’re with the party: I had a run of bad luck and long story short, I became a slave then (other player name) bought me.
What you bring to the party: Tamer of animals, healer and brawler.
Your Problem: I can't back down from a challenge, no matter how dumb. The nail in the coffin of my bad luck was being challenged to punch the leader slaver in the middle of their camp. I really should of walked away, but no, I walked into their camp and swung.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 01:08:06 pm »

PTW

EDIT: And possible sheet.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 01:41:59 pm »

Your Name Lina Inverse

Ultimate Goal: To be very rich. I mean, super mega awesome totally rich. Rich enough to buy a castle and have it converted into a giant bowl for my goldfish. Rich enough to have to go adventuring to pay for the storage costs for all my gold. Because the storerooms have to be made of platinum. I mean, duh...what else would you build a storeroom out of? Rich enough that the gravitational pull of all my money influences the local spacetime geometry.

What you bring to the party: Is a famous and powerful sorceress

Your problem: Is a famous and powerful sorceress. And incidentally has a totally undeserved reputation for accidentally blowing up taverns and forgetting to pay bar tabs. I mean, that only happened once. Ok, twice. This week. But seriously, how can they expect me to pay the bill after the bar blows up? It's not my fault. Ok, I guess maybe I am the one who cast that fireball in that tiny enclosed space that one time, but how else was I supposed to light that nice man's cigar when he asked me to? And the time before that, yes, I did maybe summon an enraged demon lord...but that guy totally said I couldn't I just had to prove I could, right? Anyway, for reasons that totally don't understand it's pretty typical that when I go into towns people tend to, well...react. Sometimes angry creditors. Sometimes people who want quests done. I love quests! I like it especially when I'm asked to capture bandit leaders and put them in jail because I'm really nice and awesome! Of course, silly townsfolk tend to just put them in jail where they can escape and come hunt me and my party down in the next town over. I get that a lot. But I like the attention. Well, usually Like those silly fledgling wizards constantly challenging me to duels all the time. That's kind of annoying. I mean, I'm Lina Inverse! Of course they can't beat me! And they know it. Which is why sometimes those duels aren't really duels so much as high level assassins showing up in the middle of the night with heavily enchanted, poisoned weapons and full, detailed and accurate of my location, surroundings and company because they've had the foresight to pay for intensive magical scrying rather than just showing up. Yeah, that happens kind of often. But they wouldn't go to all that trouble if they didn't think I was important, right? And I am! I'm Lina Inverse! Yay!

Why you’re with the party: Because they're totally nice! I met them, and they didn't beg me to save their town, or try to kill me or anything! They even asked me for my name! Can you imagine? I don't even remember the last time somebody asked for my name. Screamed it at the top of their lungs in either terror or angst, maybe, but asked? Wow! I don't even remember the last time that happened. This is going to be so awesome!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 02:40:48 pm »

Your Name Lina Inverse
I don't know about this. For one thing, I was hoping for original characters, or at least expies that aren't too on the nose. And I was hoping to do something somewhat serious, since the last game I ran was all about comedy, and it kind of wore me down having to come up with new and funny stuff all the time and not having much of substance to build on.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how well the character herself would work in a group. She has the possibility to be way overpowered or a liability, and possibly both at once. And I don't really see how she actually needs the party, which is the whole point of the exercise to begin with.
Glory to Arstotzka!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 02:43:28 pm »

I'll come in since I can do something I've wanted to do for a while.

Your Name: H
Ultimate Goal: Complete and total world domination. Whether through violent mind control or through people loving me so much they'd die for me is irrelevant. Though the second one is preferred. Unnecessary meanness isn't good.
Why you’re with the party:  They looked like good people to allow to rule with me.
What you bring to the party: The ability to break others minds through putting them through their own personal hell and some ameture healing.
Your Problem:  I am mute and have angered a minor noble.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:45:59 pm by kj1225 »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 03:17:38 pm »

I'll come in since I can do something I've wanted to do for a while.

Your Name: H
Ultimate Goal: Complete and total world domination. Whether through violent mind control or through people loving me so much they'd die for me is irrelevant. Though the second one is preferred. Unnecessary meanness isn't good.
Why you’re with the party:  They looked like good people to allow to rule with me.
What you bring to the party: The ability to break others minds through putting them through their own personal hell and some ameture necromancy.
Your Problem:  I am mute and have angered a minor noble.
I guess as long as the rest of the party is okay with it and your character isn't more trouble than he's worth. If it gets to the point that only reason the other characters put up with you is that you're a player character, I will encourage the other characters to turn you into the authorities or kill you, whichever seems most appropriate. Not too seem harsh, but your character is 1) striving for world domination and 2) uses rather nefarious powers, two things which can cause problems if the rest of the party doesn't quite agree with such things, and, since the game is about the party primarily, it's something to look out for.
Glory to Arstotzka!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 03:21:11 pm »

Ruling the world is slightly different from world domination but I see what you mean. I actually think I should change the goal at least and maybe the powers since I don't really like necromancy to much.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 03:36:32 pm »

World domination isn't so bad as long as you aren't doing things that the other player characters wouldn't normally agree with but do so since there's the metagame concept that you're part of a party and you should conform your character to be okay with whatever twisted thing some other people are doing. And, so long as people don't metagame, you could probably get away with "secretly" going about your plans for world domination, though the rest of the party might eventually have to stop you.

And it's probably for the best that you're dropping the necromancy thing, even if you decide to keep world domination, since those two combined are a bit cliche. How come you never see healers try to the world domination thing, or people who can turn themselves into squirrels?
Glory to Arstotzka!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 03:38:05 pm »

Because anyone who can turn into a squirrel should be shot on sight.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 04:33:54 pm »

A little bit of evil sounds like it would be healthy. We wouldn't want the PCs to get along too well.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 04:19:14 pm »

Bump.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 03:49:56 pm »

Post to Join.