Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miner won't move  (Read 1019 times)

NCarter

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling body parts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nether.org.uk/
Miner won't move
« on: June 11, 2008, 07:30:00 am »

I have a miner who, having just dug out a chamber, is now just wandering around aimlessly and won't leave or get back to work.  It looks like he's going to die of thirst pretty soon, and as this is early days for the fortress, it'd be good if I didn't lose one of my two experienced miners so... how do I get him to get a drink, then get back to work?

As far as I can see, there's nothing stopping him from leaving the room.  He just needs to walk out of the chamber (which has just been marked as a gem stockpile), through the jeweller's workshop, around the corner and there's a drink stockpile right there.  There are no pitfalls and nothing other than the rocks he just mined himself lying on the ground.  He has no injuries and all his equipment.  He isn't having a strange mood.  There isn't a skeletal elephant in the way.

Any suggestions?

[ June 11, 2008: Message edited by: NCarter ]

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Miner won't move
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:36:00 am »

Well, sounds like some weird pathfinding glitch.

My suggestion is to conscript him into a military squad and station him near the booze.  Maybe it will wake him up.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:40:00 am »

You've only got the two miners, yes? If the other one's fine then remove his/her mining labour and set a digging task somewhere near where you want the dwarf to go (presumably somewhere near some alcohol). If he won't come out to do the job then there's probably something blocking his path that you've missed.

As a stab in the dark, can he actually get past the jeweller's workshop? All three tiles on the right of that workshop are impassable after the workshop's been built, so if it's been built with no path to the north or south of it, and dwarves have to travel east/west "through" the workshop, they can't do that.

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:41:00 am »

If the chamber was just dug, and you put the workshop there, just now, chances are you are maybe blocking their path? You know, workshops have unpassable tiles, those that appear darker upon placement.

Just a wild guess.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:41:00 am »

Aren't jewelers workshops one of the few that can potentially block dwarves in? Did you build the workshop after he started mining out the nearby area? That's the only thing I can think of.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

NCarter

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling body parts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nether.org.uk/
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 07:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by pushy:
<STRONG>As a stab in the dark, can he actually get past the jeweller's workshop? All three tiles on the right of that workshop are impassable after the workshop's been built, so if it's been built with no path to the north or south of it, and dwarves have to travel east/west "through" the workshop, they can't do that.</STRONG>

That's it!  I put the gem stockpile chamber to the right of the workshop, so it must be that the workshop is blocking his path.  I hadn't realised that those parts of workshops were impassible.

Thanks, I'll get him (or the other miner) to dig another route.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Awayfarer:
<STRONG>Aren't jewelers workshops one of the few that can potentially block dwarves in? Did you build the workshop after he started mining out the nearby area? That's the only thing I can think of.</STRONG>
Yup, just it and the bowyer's (where all three tiles on the left are impassable)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

There are other workshops which block e.g. the N, E, and NE tiles, which can prevent access if your only entryways are diagonal.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels