Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What exactly does the alignment of surroundings mean?  (Read 729 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What exactly does the alignment of surroundings mean?
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:05:00 am »

What is the difference between good, neutral and evil surroundings? Is evil more dangerous with more hostile creatures?

I assume the benign/neutral/savage element of the surroundings affects the number of creatures present, though so far I have only dared calm surroundings.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly does the alignment of surroundings mean?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Moron:
<STRONG>What is the difference between good, neutral and evil surroundings? Is evil more dangerous with more hostile creatures?

I assume the benign/neutral/savage element of the surroundings affects the number of creatures present, though so far I have only dared calm surroundings.</STRONG>

Good areas have wild hordes of deadly dwarf eating unicorns and pixies that wear the faces of infants. Evil areas have undead fish climbing out of the water to attack you and zombified muskrats. Neutral areas just have bears.

Benign areas have elephants. Savage areas have giant lions. Neutral areas have groundhogs.

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>Good areas have wild hordes of deadly dwarf eating unicorns and pixies that wear the faces of infants. Evil areas have undead fish climbing out of the water to attack you and zombified muskrats. Neutral areas just have bears.

Benign areas have elephants. Savage areas have giant lions. Neutral areas have groundhogs.</STRONG>

Basically, yes. Evil regions tend to have deadly animals while good regions tend to have deadly animals in disguise i.e. animals you wouldn't expect to tear your dwarves apart. Neutral areas tend to have none to very few aggressive animals (depending on the biome). Maps with a chasm will always have some unpleasant surprises though.

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:30:00 am »

But most of the surprises in chasm maps are stuck on the lower caverns formed into the walls of chasms. In a few years time atleast some chasm nasties have starved and/or died of thirst.
Karpatius cancels Eat: thirsty.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius has died of thirst.

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 06:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karpatius:
<STRONG>But most of the surprises in chasm maps are stuck on the lower caverns formed into the walls of chasms. In a few years time atleast some chasm nasties have starved and/or died of thirst.</STRONG>

Or some of the flying residents have taken care of some of the non-flying.