Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infinite sources of water  (Read 1035 times)

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
Infinite sources of water
« on: June 10, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

I read somewhere that if you have multiple screw pumps with water source that feed into each other, that you'll get more water coming out than going in.  Lately I've read all the wiki articles on screw pumps and water physics but cannot find even a mention.  Can someone confirm or deny this?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite sources of water
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

The wiki sometimes changes to reflect new information. But it sometimes retains old information that's not in the current version. I think I recall seeing this in the wiki before.

I've never noticed pumps producing more water than they take in, but I haven't experimented with a closed system to find out for sure.

I know you can make infinite water using the U-bend bug. Just put a floodgate above bend so you can stop the world from flooding.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

I've seen it mentioned, but I dunno.  Is the u-bend bug as simple as making a u-bend with water on one side?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »

I never figured out what the U-bend bug was, every U-bend I ever made worked like you would expect it to, and I never got any permaflooding.

I think pumps might suck up any amount of water (even 1/7) and spit out 7/7 but I'm not sure. I've never really tested it, but when I think about it it seems that they keep spitting out the same amount of water even after the source is almost drained. I'll check it out next time I start a fort that has water (current fort is in the middle of a desert).

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

I believe the problem to which you are referring occurs if you, for example, pump water on to an area several Z-levels above your infinite water source, then drop it back down and have it rejoin the source.

I think the problem is that infinite water sources don't 'absorb' water at the same rate they produce it, and therefore you'll end up flooding the world.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:18:00 pm »

I believe the U-bend bug (I was never brave enough to attempt making one myself) is as such:

What will happen here is that the will flow into the pipe, as is to be expected.

code:

####
~~~####
##~#  
## # ##
##   ##
#######

Then the water fills up the bottom level...

code:

####
~~~####
##~#  
##~# ##
##~~~##
#######

...And begins flowing up the pipe on the other side.  Everything seems okay.

code:

####
~~~####
##~#  
##~#~##
##~~~##
#######

Here's where it gets interesting.

code:

####
~~~####
##~#~~~
##~#~##
##~~~##
#######

The water will attempt to equalize, and will thus try to fill up the level that it's getting sent out at (since it is below that of the source).  However, the ancient water gods do not like having their domain manipulated, and will promptly send death to your fortress.

code:

####
~~~####
##~#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
##~#~##~~~~~~~~~~~
##~~~##~~~DEATH~~~
#######~~~~~~~~~~~

You can block off the source, you can close the emergency floodgate, you can do whatever you damn well please but that water will never stop coming out.  Apparently, the problem starts here:

code:

####
~~~####
##~#~~~
##~#~##
##~X~##
#######

From there it will generate an insane amount of pressure that will rocket out an infinite amount of water to cover all the world up to the source elevation.  It is, in essence, the equalizer of the gods.

And that is how oceans are created, kiddies.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

^ Tried to do that to get infinite water from a pond to fill a cistern on a riverless map. Didn't quite work for some reason.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 12:42:00 am »

So how would you harness a U-bend?  Seal it off and have a resevoir, as well as gate at the bottom to drain it, so you can safely access it?  I'm going to have to build one now.  I think I'll make a completely artificial pipe and tank.  The whole thing will be aboveground.  

Does the water appear instantly, or does it just gush out very quickly?  How long does it take to cover the map?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

You could create ice sculptures in a glacier if you could just get enough water to start with. I imagine having a grid of openings in a cliff face, with a floodgate at each opening. They'd be all connected, to the main u-bend water creation system.

But as soon as you opened a floodgate to create some ice, would the water freeze instantly as soon as it entered the outside square? What if it didn't get to be 7/7 yet? Would the water turn into some smaller ice item and fall to the base of the cliff?

And if the water DID burst out at 7/7 it wouldn't just instantly block the flow, right? Because water flows out the corners to the neighboring eight spaces too.

Or would it be all boring and just freeze the square where the floodgate sits, since it's adjacent to outside?

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic