Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Graphics- Unique Looks  (Read 950 times)

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
Modding Graphics- Unique Looks
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:49:01 am »

So, I've been using the Phoebus graphics set and attempting to mod the game. I've begun to ponder if we can do more with graphics. For example, I'm working on an Elder Scrolls mod where you play as the Imperials with a number of sub-castes including elves and argonians and I've wondered if there was a way to display each caste with unique graphics.

I've tried making unique classes for them with unique graphics set but I'm not certain how to properly initialize a class to get it to work. I could fill the game with lots of unique "noble" positions but that would be to cumbersome. Then I started looking at the graphics file themselves and noticed you can set multiple tile pages to draw the graphics from. It also has settings for unique states of character such as zombies, skeletons, and ghosts... why can't these unique castes also be unique states?

For example, it could go like this:

[DEFAULT:IMPERIAL:0:18:AS_IS:GHOST]
   [STANDARD:IMPERIAL:0:18:AS_IS:GHOST]

[STANDARD:IMPERIAL:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [STANDARD:ARGONIAN:1:0:AS_IS:ARGONIAN]

Does anyone have anything that could help with this? Any examples of something doing this? At the very least, a guide on how to create new "unique" classes for castes?

I like to imagine a Dwarf Fortress game the graphics displaying more and, possibly, for unique graphics for unique characters. I'd like my favorite hero characters to have unique character graphics just for them to display how cool and awesome they are.

The system seems very versatile, it's just a question as to how we can unlock it.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Graphics- Unique Looks
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:25:57 am »

>> why can't these unique castes also be unique states?

Because Toady didn't code it that way.  sorry! 
You're certainly not the first to wish that we could do caste level graphics  :)