Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trap design: dwarven blender (and a dwarven song)  (Read 2718 times)

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trap design: dwarven blender (and a dwarven song)
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 11:15:50 am »

Turns out this sort of thing is quite the pain in the arse.  Hauling things up and down that take too much time.  Dwarves are even slowed down because the walkway is one tile across.

I had an idea, though, and no idea if it is functional.  Say you set up a dumping track stop at the top, and have it dump over the side.  Then, on the tile far far below, you have a minecart.  Will it "catch" the goods?  And if that's sitting on another track stop dumping in another direction, would the goods end up there?

Might be more efficient moving goods down that trap if you can do the above.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 11:45:10 am »

make the walkway two tiles across.  Gobbos will still take the inner path and dodge off.  You can also use mechanisms to expand the pathway to 2 or 3 tiles when not in use.  That's actually a good solution to the caravan issue... you can have a 1-tile walkway with traps, and put 3-wide retracting bridges along the entire way (accounting for ramps as you change level.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 11:45:39 am »

Will it "catch" the goods?
afaik no. only manual loading.

i had underground passage to the bottom of trap with moat and raising bridge, so its secure. when siege ends, open up bridge and collect stuff :) u can even put tracks  with impulse ramps there.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 03:27:56 pm »

With blunt and/or stabbing weapons instead of serrated disks, you'd end up with whole corpses instead of mutilated ones+a shitload of limbs. Mind you, clothes would still create a lot of hauling jobs...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 07:34:49 pm »

Hauling things up and down that take too much time.  Dwarves are even slowed down because the walkway is one tile across.
Yup. Here's what I have planned:

Code: [Select]
  |___n---n  _|
  |_  |xxx|  H|
  |H  |xxx|  _|
__B===Bxxx|  H|__
H+|H  |xxx|  _|++
H+|_  |xxx|  H|++
H_|H__|xxx|___|++

There's a bridge in the wall of the deathpit and a bridge in the wall of my fort's entrance. When the lever is pulled, both raise, blocking off access. The invaders are forced to go into the stairs leading down to the bottom, then circle their way up the deathpit walls to get to the entrance at the top. Of course, this relies on there being a secondary blockade preventing invaders from rushing my outside dwarves before I can get them corralled and the bridge pulled. Usually that means a large wall around everything with a two or three-door airlock. The invaders can get through it, but it buys me enough time to keep everyone safe.

Incidentally, the nobles are pretty close to that airlock sometimes. The baron has strange demands sometimes. He has a very nice bedroom he can't access and another crappy one outside that he can, sometimes. He becomes a literal figurehead, sometimes.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 12:37:13 am »

I think with the minecart hauling idea, bridges act as both constructed walls when up, AND rails when down. I think you should be able to gather most of the fallen goblinite from the bottom with clever use of this.

Time to eat some SLIME! for some good old fashioned rigorous, dwarf-deadly Dwarven ScienceTM I think.
Pages: 1 [2]