Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Potentially Foolish Question: Why do we have aquifers?  (Read 2908 times)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Potentially Foolish Question: Why do we have aquifers?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 03:49:18 am »

I actually decided to do a no-stone fort to see how far you can get. I've not decided on all limitations yet, but it'll be something like:

- No buildings can be constructed on stone (so only soil layer and above-ground buildings)
- Nothing can be constructed with stone that can also be constructed in a different way (so only brick/wood walls, no stone crafts, mechanisms, pots, furniture etc)

I'm still doubting what to do about metal, whether only imported metal can be used or whether I am allowed to dig to get metal. I am thinking the former. I guess my military will be leather and bone archer heavy...

Acutally I started a nice embark with fire clay and kaolinite, with one square haunted out of a 3x3 embark. Strange enough, the rest should be 'heavily forested' but there are hardly any trees? (which will be a problem as I will need lots of fuel for the ceramics). Edit: never mind, got overrun by 3 undead ogres. I had thought that archers would be good against the undead, but they fired all their (bone) arrows into the beasts without really doing any damage. O well...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:56:03 am by vanatteveldt »

nwob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 10:44:25 am »

I actually decided to do a no-stone fort to see how far you can get. I've not decided on all limitations yet, but it'll be something like:

- No buildings can be constructed on stone (so only soil layer and above-ground buildings)
- Nothing can be constructed with stone that can also be constructed in a different way (so only brick/wood walls, no stone crafts, mechanisms, pots, furniture etc)

I'm still doubting what to do about metal, whether only imported metal can be used or whether I am allowed to dig to get metal. I am thinking the former. I guess my military will be leather and bone archer heavy...

Acutally I started a nice embark with fire clay and kaolinite, with one square haunted out of a 3x3 embark. Strange enough, the rest should be 'heavily forested' but there are hardly any trees? (which will be a problem as I will need lots of fuel for the ceramics). Edit: never mind, got overrun by 3 undead ogres. I had thought that archers would be good against the undead, but they fired all their (bone) arrows into the beasts without really doing any damage. O well...

R.I.P, brave dwarves of vanattedveldt

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 01:19:26 pm »

I am actually disappointed with the ceramics, especially bricks. I think one clay+fuel should yield 4 bricks like with stone. This way, bricks are really not a useful material for construction. Maybe 4 tiles of 10 value each from 1 kaolinite plus 1 fuel is too much, but 1 seems really too little. Maybe I'll mod this and retry.

It really hurts not to have mechanisms as well, maybe I'll allow myself a limited metal industry next time, or allow stone to be used for mechanisms.

Actually, what I will try is a no-stone on a vulcano embark, hopefully with sand and clay, and maybe without a haunted tile ;-) [my main goal is to force myself to use the ceramics and glass industries as I normally have quite a masonry monoculture...]

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »

my main goal is to force myself to use the ceramics and glass industries as I normally have quite a masonry monoculture...

You do realize these are dwarves, right?  The masonry monoculture is the de facto standard.  Glass works and ceramics are like the sprinkles on top of an already delightful cupcake.  Mmmm... cupcake.

Now, don't feel bad about liking the sprinkles.  Some people just eat the top and leave the bottom half go, and that's OK.  Heck, pop a whole handful of just sprinkles in your mouth now and then if you like!  But don't beat yourself up if you like the cupcake just as much as (or more than) the decoration.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 12:57:41 am »

Mmmm, cupcakes :-)

But in all honesty, it seems that a glass industry is a nice way of converting wood into furniture with value 5, and on maps with rock crystal and/or kaolinite it seems a waste not to do something with that resource. Converting two wood into a statue with base value 3 or 4 plus a glaze of 50 seems a good deal as well.

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 09:41:45 am »

One day a long long time ago toady was mad. Really mad. No ones knows why but he was, so deal with it. Anyways, In a search for a method to let out his anger he looked to Dwarf Fortress and Its happy community. "I shall make this fun (real fun) end" he thought. And so aquifers were coded.

I really hate aquifers

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 10:05:42 am »

Besides, aquifers provide unlimited water and power without much fps damage.

I have one of the slowest computers in the south east US. How could I set up an aquifer to provide fresh water to my fort with minimal damage to fps?

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

watashiHIME

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 11:45:27 am »

I have one of the slowest computers in the south east US. How could I set up an aquifer to provide fresh water to my fort with minimal damage to fps?
Dig into it from underneath, through a passage leading to your well, with a diagonal part at the end to prevent flooding. Adding a way to drain it might be useful in case someone falls down the well, but it's not necessary.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 04:59:18 pm »

You can actually just channel directly into the aquifer from the top, and build a well over the hole. Bam. Minimal FPS damage and infinite drinking water.

If you need it.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 [2]