Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tweaking animal breeding  (Read 536 times)

Gobbopathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tweaking animal breeding
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:51:18 am »

Hello fellow Dwarfplayers

I have a question about breeding. I encaged some crundles, trained them and built some nests to let the females put their eggs in it. Of course cooking crundle eggs is forbidden.
But I noticed afterwards the crundles do not have the CHILD token, so they can't give birth.
I added manually in the raw file the [CHILD:1] token and waited several months but could not see any baby crundles.
How is calculated the gestation period ? (I could not see any token for that). Is it a fraction of the number after CHILD ? By the way I assume it is in years, here a crundle should become a child one year after birth, right ?
Do I need to add the baby token too ? (not mandatory if I refer to the wiki)

Maybe the token would be taken into account only for new eggs ? New crundles ? Or a new DF game ? Or maybe only after generating a new world that would integrate this modified raw file ? (sorry I am a totally newby in tweaking)

Thanks for your answers

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking animal breeding
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:10:51 am »

I think you need to generate a new world for the change to apply. I'm not sure though as it sometimes works without.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:55:37 am »

child tags and egg laying can be edited into the save raws to take immediate effect upon reloading the fort/world (not regenning). No clue if it works on existing eggs though

I'd ask, since you edited the raws, did you edit them in the general DF files or did you go to saves > region x > raws ?

For changes made in the general raws, yes, a new world is required
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 12:00:10 pm »

egg hatching works as such. 1 the mother needs to be sitting on her eggs in the nest box. 2 the eggs need to have been fertilized. and 3 the gestation period must expire uninterrupted. the gestation period is a function of the size of the egg

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 02:48:47 pm »

really? science with df2010 iirc, showed that it's about 3 months, regardless of egg size. Maybe it is a function of the egg size, but the change is measured in days or hours, not months
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:13:09 am »

You might as well eat them. There's a bug that means children born on the map of both dorfs and animals don't actually grow -they'll remain tiny and worthless.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:37:43 am »

Nah, just modify the baby crundles to be full size at birth. Or, there's also a fix using DFhack in The thread that found it.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »

The eggs that have already been laid will never hatch, since they were laid using the old raws. Just unforbid those eggs, allow them to be collected and a new batch to be laid. These should hatch, of they don't hatch within a year repeat the collection and the next batch should be fine.

Speaking from experience with giant black mambas, crundles and other.critters, and a bit of looking around this should work.