Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bronze Age Dwarf Civ - can I provide it access to iron?  (Read 494 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bronze Age Dwarf Civ - can I provide it access to iron?
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:39:23 am »

I think, from past experience, that the answer to this is a resounding 'no', but thought it worth checking.

I have eight dwarf civilisations in my (large) world.  One of them appears to have no access to iron (embarking gives no anvils as options, and only bronze picks, weapons etc).

If I were to embark with a group from this civ, with my bronze picks, and were able to dig my way down to an iron ore and smelt it, and then abandon the fort...would the civ gain access to iron for future embarks?

I'm assuming not, and that there's no way to do this, as to the best of my knowledge civilisations are locked upon world creation (barring animal training knowledge updates), but would welcome the confirmation.

Thanks!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Age Dwarf Civ - can I provide it access to iron?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:56:12 am »

I think your civ has knowledge of iron, just no access.  Otherwise you wouldn't be able to make iron anvils if you found them.  Also, you would have to retire your fort (once it has a noble or monarch) not abandon it to have any hope of keeping that fortress occupied by your civ.  However in the current version I'm pretty sure even this would not make iron available on a subsequent embark.  The next release of DF will keep the world "going" after worldgen ends, but we don't know if the resources accessible by civs will check retired forts even then.  I would imagine not.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:13:55 pm »

Also, you would have to retire your fort (once it has a noble or monarch) not abandon it to have any hope of keeping that fortress occupied by your civ.

Waaaaaaait a minute. What? This is a thing that can happen? How do you retire it? Does that option only become available after a Monarch? I don't know if I've ever gotten a monarch so I wouldn't know how to even do that.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 08:14:37 am »

You could mod in a rock and bronze anvils, which are historically accurate. I'm not sure the best way to go about it though.

You may be able to buy a steel anvil at embark, they cost 300 points at embark. Or, you may be able to get one from a caravan.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:59:49 am »

This is a thing that can happen?
not currently, but it will be in the next release