Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military upgrading armor autonomously?  (Read 425 times)

Eddis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military upgrading armor autonomously?
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:43:23 am »

Hello,

I embarked and started training 2 dorfs from wave1 with axes and no armor (behind walls for safety).

Shortly after I threw together 2 sets of steel for them (crafters were 0 skill). All the armor was base level or - level.

Some time later, as I moved down to the magma tube (located -30 on my favorite embark save) and started pumping out armor and weapons, separating the masterworks from the rest.

As my crafters started to get up in level I started getting some masterworks and assigned them manually to upgrade. All was well.

I Q'ed up 30 boots, 30 gauntlets and 30 axes and went off doing other things. I came back and saw I had some masterworks for each. I went to go equip them into my military and noticed that a lot of the original steel gear I had originally equipped was replaced with Superior quality steel.

I had set Replace and Exact Match. I assumed that Exact Match meant they would not be smart enough to upgrade themselves... but apparently I was mistaken (and happily so). Is this intended or some sort of bug with exact match setting?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military upgrading armor autonomously?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:51:37 am »

if you equipped them with "steel high boots" - exact match, then anything that's a steel high boot will be a valid choice.  If a higher quality steel high boot becomes available, then it would still be an exact match, so they can upgrade while still matching exactly.  This is because quality isn't a criteria you can specify, so "steel high boot" does not specify no-quality steel high boots.  However they upgrade based on value, not quality, and these are not always synonymous in the case of decorated items.

If you equipped each by selecting specific items from the list, they won't upgrade.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku