Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ways to deal with discarded clothing  (Read 911 times)

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ways to deal with discarded clothing
« on: June 15, 2013, 02:00:30 pm »

Is there any ways to deal with discarded clothing in fast and efficient way? Preferably abutomate it somehow
Even if i dump the area, they do it pretty slow (with lots of free dorfs) and about a third of scattered items still remain whereever they are. Even cleanowned scattered x, autodump isn't of much help  :(
And they throw it everywhere... Do i need to mention cloth/goods bins?

So.. what are your method to deal with this problem?

And another note, is it worth to further increase value of the room when its already legendary?

... damn typos. guess i shouldnt post at 2am
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:33:30 am by Hommit »

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to deal with discarded clothing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 02:36:14 pm »

I prefer to trade my worn clothes away. They sell for a decent amount of ☼, especially if there are many of them, and can make a fair substitute to trading goods specifically made for trade, eventually cancelling the fortress' primary wealth industry.
Though keep in mind that if the clothes are not home-made, you won't be able to offer them in order to get a Monarch.
Make sure you have enough bins to keep all those clothes if you want them hauled to the depot far more quickly.  :)
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 03:02:21 pm »

I tend to smash a large part of worn clothing
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 03:19:41 pm »

Atom smash. Minecart track will make it pretty automatic. Garbage Haulers AKA merchants.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 05:19:37 pm »

I create a stockpile to let it all vanish.

1) Clothing stockpile set to accept from links only, attached to clothier's shop (this contains all new cloths) (later in game filter for quality also)
2) Clothing stockpile set to accept from anywhere, lower quality clothing, no bins. Also set as refuse pile accepting no types of refuse. (low quality clothing goes here to vanish)
3) Clothing stockpile set to accept from anywhere, accepts higher quality clothing. This is used for trading, for higher value used clothing that I want to trade.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 05:30:18 pm »

The solution in my last for was pretty effective at keeping things off the floor automatically.

Track stop next to caravan that dumps onto a clothign stockpile. Put minecart on that track stop and set up hauling route.

Set the route to grab clothing from a separate adjacent stockpile of a few tiles wide. Make sure all clothign you want to grab is unowned and your dwarves will slowly clean it up. By the time I had a fairly large for I had 3 of these setups right next to the trade depot, and I never had any stray socks on the ground outside of these stockpiles. I probably could have handled it with 2 just fine, but 3 seemed good too when I had the extra effort to spare. BTW, they also gather all goblinite for a similar arrangment (gathering non-steel armor and weapons of course), and all of theri clothes.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 12:16:50 am »

Well you could always indulge there hoarding behavior. Give your Dwarves extra large personal rooms, give them a bed and a shit-load of cabinets. Since the Dwarves still own the clothes, they'll put them in the cabinets. This is how you play a super nice to the point of being extremely counterproductive Overseer. Fluttershy would be proud.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 01:15:31 am »

dfhack.
cleanowned X
autodump destroy
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 01:30:19 am »

2) Clothing stockpile set to accept from anywhere, lower quality clothing, no bins. Also set as refuse pile accepting no types of refuse. (low quality clothing goes here to vanish)
but there isn't any settings for trash quality?

And another note, is it worth to further increase value of the room when its already royal(legendary?)?
what about golden roads?

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:33:21 am »

but there isn't any settings for trash quality?

In the stockpile settings menu you can enable any other stockpile variant; so in this case q -> move cursor to unwanted clothings stockpile -> s -> scroll to refuse -> e -> b
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:37:46 am by Uristoteles »

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 03:24:44 pm »

Deal with worn clothing by putting everyone in armor.