Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple workshops? 2nd question about dumps added :)  (Read 436 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple workshops? 2nd question about dumps added :)
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:40:09 am »

Hi guys,

I just discovered this awesome game for myself a few days ago. I had a rough time initially but (with the help of forum and wiki) learned most of the basics. There are still questions popping up every 10min but i can mostly solve them myself.

Not so with this one. Couldn't find anything searching the forum, wiki or google. Hope that someone here can help me. Can two or more dwarves use a certain workshop simulaneously? Or is the shop occupied if a dwarf is in there? If that is the case, do I get a message saying that the second dwarf had to cancel his job or is he simply idle without me knowing about it?

Basically I'm trying to find out whether I have to build multiple workshops as my fortress grows. If so, I can allocate space for additional workshops from the start.
Thanks for the help! :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:05:07 am by Afghani84 »

Garun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple workshops?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 05:11:55 am »

Your assumptions are correct... only one dwarf may be active in a workshop at a time. Allocating space early on for expansion is very important in my opinion, I always build my production floors with that in mind now. Don't forget to keep expansion of your stockpiles in mind too!

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple workshops?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:04:20 am »

thanks a lot! i will plan with that in mind.

while playing some more, another question came up:
I've been using garbage dumps to deal with stones and wood. the problem now is that there is so much stone on my wood that i can't see it on the page anymore. i first thought that i can go through all pages with +/- but it doesn't seem to work. how can i access them now? do i have to unload all the stones first?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple workshops? 2nd question about dumps added :)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:17:25 am »

how many workshops you need depends on the type and what you focus on in your fortress.  I've got like 4x each of farmer's workshop, dyers, and clothiers, with two groups of looms (one for plant fiber, one for web collection).  How many butcher's/tanners you need depends on this.  You'll almost always need lots of mason's workshops.  The key thing here is that building additional workshops is basically free, except for the space it takes up.  The benefits are you can have workshops dedicated to different jobs, materials, or skill levels, and so there's even some use in having more workshops than there are workers for that job (allows you to queue more jobs).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 08:19:26 am »

I'm not sure quite what you're asking from your description. It sounds like your problem is that you dumped wood and stone into the same area and now you're using the K option to undump them? A much easier way would be to use d-b-c to mass claim - it lets you paint "unforbid" the same way you paint mining and other designations. Just click your dump and everything in it becomes usable.

You might also find it useful to read the wiki page on minecart quantum stockpiles, which have some benefits over garbage dumps, one of which is that the items aren't forbidden.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:37:38 am »

thanks for the quick answers!
i can definitely see now why multiple workshops can be necessary and beneficial.

@Xinael: yes, i dumped them together and was not able to see the wood anymore in the list when pressing k. d-b-c solves my problem for now thx. but i will have a look at the minecart version...being able to choose what to dump where sounds awesome!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:28:17 am »

I think there is another way to look faster through the (k)

If you have a bookkeeper set to a high enough precision you can go to the (z) - stocks menu and forbid/claim items from there. For example if you only want to claim the wood, not the stone, or just one type of wood or stone
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.