Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kindergarten  (Read 1067 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kindergarten
« on: June 07, 2013, 10:18:26 am »

Has anyone designed an efficient kindergarten (trapping the children efficiently inside for safety reasons but without using burrows etc. while training them - say in swimming - without however doing them any harm)?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Kindergarten
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 10:21:54 am »

Go find the dwarven childcare thread. It will answer ALL your questions...

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 10:40:11 am »

Go find the dwarven childcare thread. It will answer ALL your questions...

I read this thread, I am, however, not interested in sadistic fantasies that will kill the children, but in a working spacious, segregated and automatic (keeping children in, but allowing restocking of stockpiles in the children zone) part of the fortress that keeps them safe! I play a fortress without migration and depend on having the children survive. I approve however of compulsory swimming lessons if done without any injuries to the children.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 12:37:37 pm »

Yup, I've got a working kindergarten in my fortress :).

Carebear Dwarven Childcare

I haven't had any abductions since creating this, and the kids pictured in the link above are now adult dwarves and productive members of the fortress.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:46:27 pm by VerdantSF »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:44:35 pm »

I haven't had any abductions since creating this, and the kids pictured in the link above are now adult dwarves and productive members of the fortress.
That's a nice setup. I just assign all children to a burrow that includes all "safe" areas of the fort (basically the same as the "inside" burrow I use for military alerts) and is sufficiently distant from the main gate. Having a large enough burrow seems to prevent them from following their mothers outside, I haven't had a single abduction in several old forts now.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 01:13:50 pm »

Yeah my first thought was to link your thread too, but the OP mandated "no burrows" for whatever reason.  Which I guess leaves dumping them into an inescapable kindergarden via a retracting bridge in a place they would hang out otherwise, like a statue garden.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 01:30:58 pm »

Burrows really are the best way to go in terms of setting everything up once, then leaving it alone :).  The only oversight you need is adding new kids to the burrow and removing older kids from it.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 01:46:03 pm »

Burrows really are the best way to go in terms of setting everything up once, then leaving it alone :).  The only oversight you need is adding new kids to the burrow and removing older kids from it.
Yeah, burrows are great. You have to check for dwarves growing up anyways, if you want to enable jobs. I also assign family-specific rooms upon birth, so adding/removing is not much additional hassle.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 03:47:17 am »

Ok, seems you don't need elaborate setups like weight adjusted pressure plates to isolate the children inside. But how about swimming lessons?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 02:08:46 pm »

Ok, seems you don't need elaborate setups like weight adjusted pressure plates to isolate the children inside. But how about swimming lessons?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Swimming

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 03:49:48 pm »

"Be aware that in recent versions dwarves can now suffer injuries more easily when falling, so this method can cause serious harm when the dwarves are washed over the edge."

I had a grown up dwarf injured by being washed over in a minor swimming scheme I tried and am very wary to try that out systematically on children. I don't want them with all those small but non healing wounds to noses, ears etc. and I would like to have a safe system that doesn't need permanent supervision anything with the capacity to injure dwarfs will need supervision.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 06:58:18 pm »

Maybe you can try using a Minecart Airlock