Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slaughterhouse Five [resolved]  (Read 448 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slaughterhouse Five [resolved]
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:17:43 am »

Please help me think about what could be going wrong with butchery.

I have a moody dwarf who wasn't claiming any workshops. I looked at his skills and determined that he was waiting to claim a workshop related to tanning, which I hadn't built yet. First I built a tannery, but he didn't claim that. Then I built a leatherworking shop, and he did claim it. He yells for tanned hides and logs. I have logs aplenty, but no leather and no skins. So I built a butcher shop next to the pasture, with lots of animals in the pasture. I designated a calf and three kittens as ready for slaughter -- the calf is in the outdoor pasture next to the butcher shop, and the kittens were in the interior fort "pasture."

I then gave a dwarf the butcher labor. I took away his other labors. No job. I did the same to four other dwarves. Still no job. I made a burrow just big enough to include the outdoor pasture and the butcher shop. I assigned the five unskilled butchers to the burrow. (Until that point, no dwarves had ever been assigned to any.) They went outside and stood around in the pasture, often right next to the calf. Still no job. I took the burrow away, and they all went back inside to the meeting area. No job.

This went on for at least a week of game time. Why won't anyone do any slaughtering?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:48:51 pm by JasonMel »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughterhouse Five
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:30:39 am »

well, I don't know what is wrong, but I don't think kittens give leather, not sure about a calf. Did you maybe accidentally turn off autobutcher on the (o)rders menu
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughterhouse Five
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:41:29 am »

well, I don't know what is wrong, but I don't think kittens give leather, not sure about a calf. Did you maybe accidentally turn off autobutcher on the (o)rders menu

Yes! That was it! Not autobutcher, but auto-slaughter. Thank you very much!

[Edit: Calves give leather, but with kittens, apparently it depends on the kitten. Some are big (old?) enough to give a skin (and meat, fat, and bone), but some are only big enough to yield a skull.]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:33:41 pm by JasonMel »