Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My goose just killed a forgotten beast  (Read 587 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
My goose just killed a forgotten beast
« on: June 07, 2013, 07:58:46 am »

I set up this long hallway as a kill zone for forgotten beasts.
I wanted to start clearing them out if possible.
I put a goose at the end.
I dug out the last square, ran, raised the bridge behind the miner and left the goose to it.
The beast finally found his way there.. he approached the goose, and punched him causing a kidney bruising and the goose to fall into the pit under the bridge. The goose somehow got back up 1 z level (flying?)
the goose attacked the beast, but missed twice.
then the forgotten beast jumped away from the third attack
this somehow caused the beast to collide with a surface, not sure what, but it broke the tissue away (seems minor)
and there is nothing left but his right and left wing (not the gooses) and a pile of ash.

All hail the great goose!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:01:19 am by crossmr »

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
Re: My goose just killed a forgotten beast
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:02:29 am »

Dwarf Fortress - where geese can kill ancient beasts of unspeakable horrors

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 08:10:17 am »

Unfortunately he wasn't so lucky with the next one.
The next beast (I must have like 10 running around in my 3 caverns, maybe more) who showed up shot frozen ice extract... the goose at least made a single attack, but the spittle blasted him badly and then the beast ran up and kicked him, killing him. My marksdwarf killed the beast with about 7 bolts.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:16:20 am »

I'm reminded of a case where a kitten attacking a megabeast killed it in a similar fashion.  I don't recall what it was precisely, but it was probably a forgotten beast or titan.  Forgotten beasts and titans made of materials instead of flesh and blood can be very fragile, as you just witnessed.  Especially those made of things like ash and snow.  The slightest provocation makes them fall apart.

Of course, there was also an anecdote of someone's baby punching at a giant, who then dodged off a ledge and fell to their doom.  So you can kill even regular megabeasts this way.  Dodge suicide has been a problem even for dwarves for a while now.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 08:50:06 am »

one of my cats once killed a giant or somesuch by making it dodge into a pool, where it drowned. A woodcutter killed a titan with one hit. Who knew that an antelope of mist with wings is quite fragile and shouldn't be hit in the lower body

On the other hand, a FB made of charcoal survived more than 200 hits with steel upright spikes, since it didn't harm any vital organ (the brain or... actually, in this case probably just the brain) nor could it bleed to death
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:00:53 am »

I had steam badger forgotten beast. My miner killed it with one swing of a pick. Such anticlimatic.