Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Priortize Dumping/Claiming  (Read 443 times)

Liberty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Priortize Dumping/Claiming
« on: June 08, 2013, 09:23:58 am »

Hello,

After a few forgotten beasts and several ambushes/evil forces later my fortress and surrounding area had become simply covered with tons and tons of clothing/items. Now, when I go d>b>c (claim items) all of the items are highlighted green but hardly anyone gets the stuff. I created a stockpile of finished goods which seemed to suck in the junk like a blackhole but there was so much of it I then decided to setup a dump and manually dump the junk. My point is, is there any way to prioritize dumping of certain items? The reason I'm asking is that my trap hallway that leads into my fortress couldn't be re-built due to all the junk blocking construction of traps. Also, how do you go about replacing used traps? Do you dump and then rebuild? Is there a simple 'reload' command? Thanks.

Edit: Also, does anyone else get missing text every now and then and have to zoom in/out to get it to reappear?
Edit2: Also, is it me or the longer you play the more inaccurate the dwarf count becomes in Dwarf Therapist?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:27:38 am by Liberty »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Priortize Dumping/Claiming
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:19:01 am »

I have never tried to mess with job priorities, but I believe there is some way. But doesen't green highlight mean that item is forbidden, not claimed? "Normal" items shouldn't have any highlight at all.

Missing text is because of tilesets/graphics packs. ASCII will fix that. Or pressing F12.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Priortize Dumping/Claiming
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 07:20:03 am »

My point is, is there any way to prioritize dumping of certain items?

Only by selectively sorting items to dump - i.e. if you want some stuff shifted quick, only designate those items for dumping and don't dump anything else (or if the other stuff's already marked for dumping, unmark or forbid it).

The reason I'm asking is that my trap hallway that leads into my fortress couldn't be re-built due to all the junk blocking construction of traps. Also, how do you go about replacing used traps? Do you dump and then rebuild? Is there a simple 'reload' command? Thanks.

What kinds of traps were those? And do you play with mods changing trap behaviour?

Normally, traps don't get 'used up' and replacing them is completely unnecessary. Weapon traps can be activated repeatedly forever, they can only jam on corpses, which the dwarfs will automatically rectify through the 'clean trap' labour. Cage traps, when activated, dump the creature-in-a-cage and become empty. Mechanics will then go and reload the trap with a new empty cage. Something similar happens with stonefall traps - a mechanic comes along and sticks a new boulder into the trap (can actually be the same boulder).