Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to organise weapons for enhancement, runes etc?  (Read 1389 times)

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to organise weapons for enhancement, runes etc?
« on: June 01, 2013, 02:31:51 pm »

Any tips? I'm trying to work out what the best solution is for the obvious problem...

Namely stockpiling high quality weapons and letting dwarves upgrade them, but NOT EQUIP THEM. I want to make my weapons good before the dwarves equip them.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to organise weapons for enhancement, runes etc?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 03:18:40 pm »

prepare everything, fortress on complete lockdown, strip military, upgrade, reassign uniforms, end lockdown

Its a pain.  The other option is to have such an excess of high-quality weapons and armor that you don't need to remove the ones they're using.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 04:41:40 pm »

Hmm. And what do I need to do to make military get rid of crap weapons they decided they wanted to claim and keep forever?

On an unrelated note, I have bought treant seeds from merchants but I can see no way to make use of them. What am I doing wrong?

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 05:02:19 pm »

I think either giving it a dump order, or forbidding it will make them drop it.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:03:58 pm »

These threads need to label what mod they're using in the title :/

Synner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:29:54 pm »

These threads need to label what mod they're using in the title :/

Seconded, this was VERY confusing for a bit before I realized you where talking about a moded game.
Urist McSpartacus: blood and vomit.
One day this is going to be a show, mark my words.

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:10:29 am »

My bad, I got confused about which sub-forum I posted in.

However, I don't think the equipping of items is changed in Masterwork. Although it does show you what weapons are claimed by dwarfs already.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 09:03:06 am »

If you assign a dwarf a specific weapon, I think they'll even take it to replace named or 'attached' weapons. That would also make them equip the cheap temporary until you've upgraded their permanent assignment, which you can then assign to them the same way so they don't play musical swords every time you make a slightly more impressive weapon.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Dorflord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 03:30:20 pm »

If you assign a dwarf a specific weapon, I think they'll even take it to replace named or 'attached' weapons. That would also make them equip the cheap temporary until you've upgraded their permanent assignment, which you can then assign to them the same way so they don't play musical swords every time you make a slightly more impressive weapon.

Also be sure to remove Indv. Choice melee/ranged so they don't just hold onto the weapon you're trying to improve.
Those dwarves were DOOMED to murder each other horribly, because they became friends!
Unlike in My Little Pony Land, where Friendship is Magic!(tm), This is Dwarf Fortress, where Friendship is TRAGIC!(tm)

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:08:56 pm »

There has got be a better way to keep mod threads away or in there own place. At least label your thread properly.

Ace_Rooster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 10:39:49 am »

Less important in Vanilla, but I like to have my masterwork steel breastplates menacing with spikes of brass, so it is relevant. The only way I have come up with to do it is have the entire metalwork section sealed, with minecart entrances only, and a dump exit for items that are "ready". I have not done any experimenting with the system, but it might help with the whole musical armour thing whenever my armourer is working if you dump it out in batches and get everyone to change. On the other hand it could result in everyone in the military removing their armour whenever a better piece becomes available but being unable to reach it. I will be back after some science!

r4NGe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 04:33:17 pm »

Last time I restricted all armor and weapon pile to have no masterwork quality and made stockpile for masterwork next to rune workshops. Then I made a empty uniform called "nekked" and hoped for the best. I still had to monitor the runeshop with T and forbid random none masterwork weapons they were trying to use. I'm sure there is a better way. Maybe have the workshop "take from" the masterwork quality pile?

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 04:57:17 pm »

That would make a big difference. Current game design has the dwarf grab the closest material to them when taking a job, so without linked stockpiles you have silliness like a mason finishing his lunch, then hauling a stone from the dining room all the way across the fort to the workshop just because it was right next to his table.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.