Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Satisfying mayors  (Read 365 times)

brimwiz

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Patiently waiting for next !!CHRISTMAS!!
    • View Profile
Satisfying mayors
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:02:19 am »

I've been getting into DF and feel like I'm getting the hang of it, but after a while a Mayor has popped up. The mayor then quickly gets extremely unhappy because I lack some required rooms. After building said rooms, they are not enough. What does a mayor do, anyway? Is it possible to fire the mayor? Because it has just gotten me into trouble. What do I need to do to make the rooms good enough for this prick?
Uh oh, looks like I've got goblins stuck in the machinery again.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Satisfying mayors
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:28:19 am »

Once you passed the population requirement and the first election took place, you'll always have a mayor. You can replace them, but that just means you get a _different_ mayor, who'll have the same requirements.

The room requirements of a mayor are significant but actually quite low compared with actual nobility. If you don't want to put in much effort, just make some fairly large rooms in stone, smooth the floor, install furniture of high quality and/or made from valuable materials. No need to break out the masterwork platinum furniture for your mayor, though, well-crafted brass is more than enough. If the room doesn't meet expectations, expand, engrave or throw in more/fancier furniture. Once you accept that 'decent' quarters take a _bit_ more effort than the 'meagre' 1x2 pigeonholes you cram your workers in, meeting the requirements is easy.

If the mayor already had personal rooms assigned before they got their new rank, take away those rooms (either 'f'ree the bed/chair/table or 'a'ssign to 'nobody'). Dwarfs with multiple rooms will use whichever room is nearest to them, and you don't want a mayor getting unhappy about 'very poor' lodgings, because they decided to sleep in their old meagre quarters instead of their mayoral great bedroom.

Edit: What mayors do - they're the chief administrator; as long as you have no nobility in your fort, the mayor will negotiate trade agreements with the dwarven liaison. Unhappy dwarfs will air their grievances with the mayor. And mayors can mandate the production of specific goods, and forbid their export. Much !FUN! can be had when a mayor orders the production of large gems or decides that the export of socks is an unacceptable practice.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:36:30 am by Larix »

brimwiz

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Patiently waiting for next !!CHRISTMAS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:32:22 am »

ok, thanks
Uh oh, looks like I've got goblins stuck in the machinery again.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:26 am »

I've had a few tantrum spirals stopped before they got out of hand because the dwarfs in question went to complain with the mayor who, with his great social skills, calmed them down. Mayors definately earn their pay, unlike barons
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:04:21 am »

I've had a few tantrum spirals stopped before they got out of hand because the dwarfs in question went to complain with the mayor who, with his great social skills, calmed them down. Mayors definately earn their pay, unlike barons

+1.

Pick a mayor with easy-to-satisfy preferences (I got a mayor once who liked coffins, which was great because I make a ton of those anyway, and never export them) and good social attributes; if you can spare the dwarfpower, remove all his labors so he spends most of his time idle, getting practice at his social skills by talking with other dwarfs in your meeting hall.  Give him a really nice office (use furniture for most of the value, not engraving nor size), with a mist generator if you can.  His skills will help you keep unhappy dwarfs from throwing tantrums and going insane.  If he's got really great furniture and a mist generator, even if he doesn't perform well on his skill check to pacify/console the unhappy dwarf, they'll get a happy thought from the mist and maybe noticing some furniture just by going to his office for the meeting.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:29:27 am »

Room is really easy:

5x3 dining room/office
1 door
5x3 bedroom
smooth
engrave
place basic furniture
if room score is not enough
I cut up some gems, and decorate the chests and cabinets before placing them.
that's usually enough.
if it's still not enough, i do up another chair/table/bed and decorate those and replace them.

in a pinch a placeable artifact usually comes along, a chair, a lever, something like that.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 08:11:35 am »

Using expensive and highly decorated statues as traffic blockers under the mist generator works well, if you're including one.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 09:15:47 am »

Using dwarf therapist to monitor happiness levels directly, I've seen dwarves at 0 happiness (very unhappy) pop all the way up to content after speaking with the mayor.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku